Have you tried the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
In summary, some people said they had downloaded the beta version and tried it out, due to my modem is slow, i can't download them. Anyone had tried them? How good are they?
Saint
Some people said they had downloaded the beta version and tried it out,

due to my modem is slow, i can't download them.

Anyone had tried them? How good are they?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have the Office 2003 beta, which is awesome I might add (you can dump any document into XML format). I doubt Longhorn (code name) is even close to beta status.

btw, most of the screenshots on the web of longhorn are fakes.

Is there a place I can download Office 2003 beta?

Is there a place I can download Office 2003 beta?
No, I went to an all day microsoft seminar/worksoft last week and they gave us a bunch of software to try out (including Server 2003 :smile:).

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I doubt Longhorn (code name) is even close to beta status.
My friend has the beta, and says that there isn't much of a change from xp YET!, the toolbars and startmenu are similar at this stage but this is only an alpha so let's hope it is good.

my friend managed to download LongHorn XP Build 4015.main.030328-1500 , from Kazaa.

I would like to see this longhorn, as long as it's radically different. Which I'm sure it isn't.

I want a radical change in OS. Things I hate:

1. desktop icons (I removed mine)
2. start menu (such BS it's so last century)
3. bottom bar on windows (blah)
4. it's just all so old style, the OS world needs to be revolutionized.

In the past I created the pictorial version of a very advanced GUI. Not the code just the design. So much more sensical I thought.

People don't like radical change though, so, it' dbe a risk for MS.

Uh..how would u do anything without a toolbar or icons? *confuzzled*..Would you have some sort of new fancy menu? Or like a jazzed up command prompt?

Originally posted by dav2008
Uh..how would u do anything without a toolbar or icons? *confuzzled*..Would you have some sort of new fancy menu? Or like a jazzed up command prompt?

Dav - I've had various planned out changes.

No command prompt surely. Well, I don't have icons on my compute rnow anyways.

I use the symbols across the toolbar. never use the start button at all.

It's kind of complicated, I mapped out the basics of the navigation of windows.

And then determined what people click from the desktop alone etc...

It's complicated - but basically, are you familiar with HUDs in video games?

They're basically the "desktop" when your in the game that shows your health and ammo etc..

Usually they use certain information all around the edges, corners and sides as well.

Generally, it's a thin wire-like template (although changable) around the edges.

And, (especially since monitors are getting large) "windows" and other things go into the main square (the GUi on the rims is thin, like the toolbar).

So, there are toolbar like things on the desktop. But they just apporiate more under the idea that you need less clicks to get to MORe things that normally you would either have to go through the start menu, or go into "my computer" and find things in folders.

that's most of the idea, but that was like 3 years ago, it was just an idea i drew up in more detail.

Don't forget it was something that, 3 years ago, would still push computers to the max today.

So it had a lot of voice managments, and would potentially also speak to you, so certain info would be said instead of read. Such as the time perhaps, or other basic values like "do i have mail" etc...

You know, you strucka chord

I always liked designing GUI's and video games and things. But now that I'm olrder (23) i don't do "purposeless (there's the word in question!)" stuff anymore.

I wish someone special (bill are you there?) would at least check it out.

Cuzz i don't have time in my life to waste with useless stuff. Ugh, oh well.

You can do the "rim the monitor with toolsbars" now. Just create a bunch of toolbars (right click the taskbar > toolbars) and dock them on the sides of the monitor. If you prefer, you can hide the taskbar and replace it with a toolbar as well.

Get Dragon Naturally Speaking, and a lot of voice commands will be avaliable to you as well, perhaps not as advanced as you envision, however.

COnsidering - Nice info. Actually, as my OS is designed, it gets the user to use a lot of voice commmands. The screen (and remember the screen is plasma shape not square shape) normally has bars on the sides, but you can put them wherever you want.

Also, the bars disappear if you'd like and vocals can completely take over.

Aside from processing speed, one should be able to do on their computer what they want, as fast as possible. Open a progeam as fast, get to a website as fast...

Vocal commands are certainly the in thing on this GUI.

If voice is the major addition, look at the aformentioned Dragon software: http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/. I've heard it is pretty powerful...

It should help tide you over until the technology you have envisioned becomes avaliable :smile:

It will type what I say, but what I would more so want would be something that would open applications and surf the web through it.

That's a bit more advanced.

What I'm saying is that it can be programmed to do exactly that...to open applications when you speak a certain phrase. Dunno about the web surfing, I'm sure it can handle it in some capacity.

Don't they also have software for blind people that works the same way? Reads screen choices to them and then goes where they tell it? Hmmm...

I used a very old voice program from waaaaay back...when CD-ROMs were at 3 and 4x speeds. From creative, and it would open programs, move the cursor up and down, etc. Pretty neat stuff...

Oh I didn't see where it said that. It talked about the typing. then I will try it for sure!

http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/standard/ [Broken]

Exact info you are looking for, sorry I didn't find it earlier

Last edited by a moderator:
my friend installed longhorn, he said it is unstable, application can be shutdown for no apparent reason.

lousy, i won't try it!

my friend installed longhorn, he said it is unstable, application can be shutdown for no apparent reason.
ummm... it's in early beta, what do you expect?

MSoffice 2003 Beta2

I installed MSoffice 2003 Beta2, cool!
The interface is bluish in WindowsXP, looks nice.
But not so good looking in windows2000.

One thing strange, why there is no ShortCut Bar for office2003 ?

[?]

I get the Beta2 CD from Microsoft sales office in malaysia.

Valid only for 14 days.

I try to get crack code for it from China's website.

Prolly not a good idea to post your intention to violate the EULA of any software program on any forum.

my friend gave me the secret code of Office2003, it works!
Sorry,MR Bill Gate.

Originally posted by Saint

my friend gave me the secret code of Office2003, it works!
Sorry,MR Bill Gate.
You might want to consider what considering told you...

1. What is the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

The beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn refers to the pre-release versions of Microsoft's Office 2003 and Windows Longhorn operating system. These versions are made available to selected users for testing and feedback before the official release.

2. How can I obtain the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

The beta versions of Office 2003 and Longhorn are no longer available to the general public, as they have already been released and replaced by newer versions. However, you may still be able to find them through third-party sources.

3. What are the benefits of trying the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

By trying the beta versions, you can get a preview of the new features and updates that will be included in the final release. You can also provide feedback to help improve the software before it is officially launched.

4. Are there any risks in using the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

As with any pre-release software, there may be bugs and glitches in the beta versions of Office 2003 and Longhorn. It is not recommended to use these versions for important or sensitive tasks, as they may not be fully stable and functional.

5. Is it necessary to try the beta version of Office 2003 and Longhorn?

No, it is not necessary to try the beta versions. The final release of these software products will contain all the updates and improvements from the beta versions, so you will not miss out on any features by not trying the beta versions.