Office equivalent

Im getting a new laptop sometime soon, the thing is that ms office is setting me back a bit. I was wondering if there are any free office equivalents that anyone here has experience with? I guess at most I'd use powerpoint and word if thats any help at all.

Here is one http://www.openoffice.org/" [Broken]. You can also find occassionally past issues of Wordperfect Office Suite for about $15.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any experience with it Artman? I cant download it atm, I dont have a pc of my own right now.

I've used OpenOffice for a few years. It's quite impressive for freeware. Handles docs well enough. but I have run into some formatting problems going between openoffice and ms office.

It came on one of my computers once, an Emachine with Windows ME that I still have, but rarely use. It seemed pretty good to me. I was pleased to find it had a graphics program as well (like coredraw or MS Picture-it).

I didn't use Open Office much because I also have a legal copy of Wordperfect Office Suite which I preferred, but it looked pretty good for a free program.

turbo

Gold Member
Another vote for Open Office.

Open Office really is the best free option IMO.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving