Free Office Equivalents for New Laptop

• Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, there is a discussion about finding a free office equivalent to Microsoft Office. One option mentioned is OpenOffice, which is praised for its features and graphics program. Another option is purchasing past versions of Wordperfect Office Suite for a low cost. Several people in the conversation have experience with OpenOffice and recommend it as the best free option. However, some formatting issues may occur when switching between OpenOffice and Microsoft Office.
chaoseverlasting
Im getting a new laptop sometime soon, the thing is that ms office is setting me back a bit. I was wondering if there are any free office equivalents that anyone here has experience with? I guess at most I'd use powerpoint and word if that's any help at all.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here is one http://www.openoffice.org/" [Broken]. You can also find occassionally past issues of Wordperfect Office Suite for about $15.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any experience with it Artman? I can't download it atm, I don't have a pc of my own right now.

I've used OpenOffice for a few years. It's quite impressive for freeware. Handles docs well enough. but I have run into some formatting problems going between openoffice and ms office.

It came on one of my computers once, an Emachine with Windows ME that I still have, but rarely use. It seemed pretty good to me. I was pleased to find it had a graphics program as well (like coredraw or MS Picture-it).

I didn't use Open Office much because I also have a legal copy of Wordperfect Office Suite which I preferred, but it looked pretty good for a free program.

Another vote for Open Office.

Open Office really is the best free option IMO.

What are free office equivalents?

Free office equivalents are software programs that provide similar functionality to popular paid office suites, such as Microsoft Office, but are available for free to users.

Are free office equivalents compatible with my new laptop?

Yes, free office equivalents are typically compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. However, it is always recommended to check the system requirements of the specific software before downloading.

What are the benefits of using free office equivalents?

The main benefit of using free office equivalents is that they are cost-effective, as they do not require any payment or subscription fees. Additionally, they often have a similar interface and features to paid office suites, making it easier for users to transition between the two.

Which free office equivalents are the most popular?

Some of the most popular free office equivalents include LibreOffice, OpenOffice, and Google Docs. These programs offer a wide range of features, including word processing, spreadsheet creation, and presentation design.

Are there any limitations to using free office equivalents?

While free office equivalents offer many of the same features as paid office suites, they may have some limitations in terms of advanced functionality and compatibility with certain file types. It is important to research and test the specific software to determine if it meets your needs.