berkeman
Mentor
What's a facebook?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Gokul43201 said:
Oooh, a link to a wiki...I'm gonna be banned!
When former mentors go bad. :biggrin: :rofl: But, see, sometimes there are legitimate uses of wiki. :wink:

berkeman
Mentor
Gokul43201 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook

Oooh, a link to a wiki...I'm gonna be banned!
(Using the best tone from the Homework Help forums....)

Okay, I've read the link you posted, and I still am not understanding this Facebook concept. What is it useful for? How should I be using it here in the Physics Forums? Sorry, I still don't get it. I hope one of you smart people can PLEASE explain it to me. I have a report due on it tomorrow. :rolleyes:

So far, this is the only part of Facebook that seems to apply:

Facebook said:
Alcohol Policy Violations

It has become increasingly common for colleges and universities to use Facebook to investigate underage drinking and violations of dry campus policies. Students who violate these policies may be discovered through photographs of illicit drinking behavior, membership in drinking-related groups, or party information posted on the Facebook website.

For example, several students at Saint Joseph's College, Indiana were stripped of leadership positions within the student body for Facebook pictures showing them clearly drinking at parties on campus. The pictures, taken inside a dormitory, were considered proof that the students were in violation of the college's dry campus policy. A similar incident happened at Northern Kentucky University

Evo
Mentor
Has PF gone dry? No more drunk posting? :uhh:

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Yah, I don't get it either.

I thought maybe it was a group where we'd, you know, see each others faces. Because, well, the mugshot thread is so huge, with 2500+ entries, as to be totally impossible to navigate.

Evo
Mentor
DaveC426913 said:
Yah, I don't get it either.

I thought maybe it was a group where we'd, you know, see each others faces. Because, well, the mugshot thread is so huge, with 2500+ entries, as to be totally impossible to navigate.
That's why there is an alphabetical listing of the member photos. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=72803

Last edited:
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Do I need a face to get into a facebook?

no, just an email address

berkeman
Mentor
Then why is it called Facebook? :confused:

its like a networking site (i.e. myspace etc..). usually people put pictures of their face, in their profile photo. So if someone search for a friend he will usually see the friend's face.

What the hell, I've joined.

About the alcohol witch-hunt in US college...too bad. I like the Belgian system. Four bars on our campus and half a dozen others within walking distance! Also, the university is good enough to provide sufficient amounts of booze during social gatherings (like the start of year reception for example).

Dimitri Terryn said:
What the hell, I've joined.

About the alcohol witch-hunt in US college...too bad. I like the Belgian system. Four bars on our campus and half a dozen others within walking distance! Also, the university is good enough to provide sufficient amounts of booze during social gatherings (like the start of year reception for example).

Haha mine is like that to, 3 bars on campus and many just bordering it, and of course the week long beer gardens during week of welcome set up outside the SU.

joined! we need more members.

I joined a while ago. we really need a place online where we can gather, discuss ideas, get answers to our questions. maybe a forum of sorts, you kn— wait a minute...

Last edited:
Not sure if I want total strangers knowing both my first and last name, where I went to school, and where I currently work.

Can a noob like me-self join?

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Not sure if I want total strangers knowing both my first and last name, where I went to school, and where I currently work.

Don't put it in your profile and/or limit your profile to people that are not your friends. Pretty simple.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Who the hell chooses to go to school with a dry campus?

Joined....

Eh. I never got into facebook, and never will.