1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Offline Search Engines?

1. Apr 7, 2007 #1
    So I want to look for specific characters within my .html and .txt files offline. But even when I google offline search engine, I can't find a suitable search engine. Windows Vista Search doesn't seem to have a search engine that works for strings within particular files (it just seems to work for filenames).

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2007 #2
    I haven't used Vista, I'm running xp, but in the xp search there is a box to search for a phrase within files... anyone with vista want to comment?

4. Apr 7, 2007 #3

Alkatran

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first thing I would try is the XP search mentioned above. Then I would probably check out Google desktop search or program one to do it myself.

5. Apr 8, 2007 #4
    There is a "find" command in windows xp's command window. Try going to start, run, type in "cmd," then type "find /?" and see if this will work for you if the "search for a phrase within files" suggestion doesn't work right for you.

Actually, here's the printout from running "find /?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?