Offset Circle Equation: Determining Radius from Angle of Rotation

• Thread starter dwepplo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the offset circle equation is a mathematical equation used to describe circles that are not centered at the origin. It differs from the standard circle equation by allowing for the center of the circle to be located at any point in the coordinate system. This equation has various applications in engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the distance formula. However, it can only be used for circles and not for other shapes such as ellipses.
dwepplo
Hi,

I’m trying to write a probing cycle on a CNC for calibrating from a standard.

I have a circle with a known diameter but it is not located on the center of rotation – the center of rotation is X/Y intercept.

The center of rotation will always lie within the circle.

I’m trying to write a function that describes the radius in terms of angle of rotation (A) – B is the center of known circle. I can only measure by rotating and I won’t know the distance from the axis – only the change in radius versus the angle of rotation.

This is what I’m planning:

I have to first find the coordinates of the center of the circle by rotating and measuring then use this data in the function for describing the radius.

Is this the best approach?

What is the approach for finding the center of the circle?

To describe the radius would I use polar coordinates, if so what does a shifted polar eqn look like?

It’s been a while since I’ve thought about some of these things and I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you,

Dan

Attachments

• offset.GIF
    offset.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your question. Your approach to first finding the coordinates of the center of the circle by rotating and measuring is a good starting point. However, there are a few other considerations you may want to take into account.

One approach for finding the center of the circle could be to use a combination of measurements and calculations. You could measure the radius of the circle at multiple angles and then use those measurements to calculate the coordinates of the center using trigonometric functions. Alternatively, you could use a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) to directly measure the coordinates of the center.

To describe the radius in terms of the angle of rotation, you could use polar coordinates as you suggested. A shifted polar equation would look like r = f(θ) + c, where r is the radius, θ is the angle of rotation, f(θ) is the function describing the radius, and c is a constant representing the shift from the center of rotation.

Another approach you could consider is using a least squares regression to fit a curve to your measured data points, which would give you an equation describing the radius in terms of the angle of rotation. This method may be more accurate and efficient, especially if you have a lot of data points.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Best of luck with your probing cycle!

1. What is the offset circle equation?

The offset circle equation is a mathematical equation that describes the shape of a circle that is not centered at the origin of a coordinate system. It takes into account the coordinates of the center of the circle and the radius, as well as any additional offset values.

2. How is the offset circle equation different from the standard circle equation?

The standard circle equation, (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2, describes a circle with its center at the origin (0,0). The offset circle equation, (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2 + c, allows for the center of the circle to be located at any point (a,b) in the coordinate system, with an additional offset value (c) added to the radius.

3. What are the applications of the offset circle equation?

The offset circle equation has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to model the orbits of planets, the motion of objects in circular motion, and to create curved shapes in computer graphics. It is also used in GPS technology to calculate the distance between two points on a curved surface.

4. How is the offset circle equation derived?

The offset circle equation is derived using the Pythagorean theorem and the distance formula. By setting the distance between the center of the circle and any point on the circle equal to the radius, and then substituting the coordinates of the center and the radius, the offset circle equation can be derived.

5. Can the offset circle equation be used for ellipses or other shapes?

No, the offset circle equation is only applicable to circles. For ellipses, a different equation, known as the standard ellipse equation, is used. Other shapes have their own specific equations that describe their geometry.