Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh and one more question

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1
    I know why the dark matter and dark light hypothesis exist to explain the universes apparent mass; when our calculations say it is only a small percnetage of the universes actual mass etc, and the hubble constants apparent increase and so on, but what if what we are looking at is innacurate? The reason I ask is that polarizations in our solar system have skewed the IMAP data so that it's inaccurate, meaning our theory needs to be altered to allow for this; could it be that our assumptions are wrong and there simply is only visible matter in the universe? What other ideas are there to explain the incosistencies and are we any closer to finding an answer?

Any answers greatfuly received.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2

Haelfix

Science Advisor

The people who worked on WMAP and the like are very careful to account for local phenomena in their measurements.. Be sure that such things are contained in the error bars of the measurement. There is some debate about a certain octopole moment term in the power specturm, that might be contaminated experimentally, but thats not going to change the bulk measurement of some of those startling universal constants (by more than say .1% or so) .

4. Feb 1, 2005 #3
    I see thanks for that Haelfix, that's the trouble with some articles they tend too exaggerate.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?