Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh! By the way

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't you love it when you hear this?

This morning it was: We forgot to mention that we will need two or three times the power that you've been using for your design for the last three months. :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Did you respond with "no problem, my design will cost you two or three times what I originally quoted".

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:biggrin: Good answer!

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just said, "no problem", then I scratched my eyes out. :biggrin: The money isn't the problem; time is the problem. In a week or so, in their minds, it will be as if it never happened.

[right now I have a virtually unlimited budget]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  6. Sep 28, 2007 #5
    give your self a raise!

7. Sep 28, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, can't do that, but I can buy lots of cool toys and I can work all that I want. Right now I'm ordering a 600VDC, 12 KVA, variable power supply. I don't think life gets much better than that!!!

Is this problem unique to industrial R&D? Sometimes is seems that no one really knows what they want!!! I know that scope drift is a normal part of any R&D project, but sometimes I am floored by the things that people forget to mention. And its not like this is good for them, so usually it would be absurd to think its intentional.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  8. Sep 28, 2007 #7

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I usually get this from the customer AFTER we deliver what was originally spec'd.

9. Sep 28, 2007 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hell no.

I've been a software designer for years. We go to meetings with customers and people ask questions that we asked them months ago, and they were the ones giving us the answer we used to develop. eeep.

10. Sep 29, 2007 #9
    Hell no^2. In the coal mine, run a 2 mile long 6 conductor cable for a carbon monoxide 1000 foot spaced sensor network in a week. This is fire detection on belt lines. Then when finished being told that the cable should be run in the travel entry, not the belt entry. This to please the superintendant that knows not what goes on underground. Accomplish the swap and a month later the super calls you in to explain why manpower is walking the belt hourly manually checking for fires because the cable is being damaged by traveling equipment. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?