Power Up: You Need More than You Think!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the customer forgot to mention that they will need two or three times the power that you've been using for your design for the last three months.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't you love it when you hear this?

This morning it was: We forgot to mention that we will need two or three times the power that you've been using for your design for the last three months.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ivan Seeking said:
Don't you love it when you hear this?

This morning it was: We forgot to mention that we will need two or three times the power that you've been using for your design for the last three months.
Did you respond with "no problem, my design will cost you two or three times what I originally quoted".

Evo said:
Did you respond with "no problem, my design will cost you two or three times what I originally quoted".

:biggrin: Good answer!

I just said, "no problem", then I scratched my eyes out. :biggrin: The money isn't the problem; time is the problem. In a week or so, in their minds, it will be as if it never happened.

[right now I have a virtually unlimited budget]

Last edited:
give your self a raise!

Hah, can't do that, but I can buy lots of cool toys and I can work all that I want. Right now I'm ordering a 600VDC, 12 KVA, variable power supply. I don't think life gets much better than that!

Is this problem unique to industrial R&D? Sometimes is seems that no one really knows what they want! I know that scope drift is a normal part of any R&D project, but sometimes I am floored by the things that people forget to mention. And its not like this is good for them, so usually it would be absurd to think its intentional.

Last edited:
I usually get this from the customer AFTER we deliver what was originally spec'd.

Is this problem unique to industrial R&D?
Hell no.

I've been a software designer for years. We go to meetings with customers and people ask questions that we asked them months ago, and they were the ones giving us the answer we used to develop. eeep.

Hell no^2. In the coal mine, run a 2 mile long 6 conductor cable for a carbon monoxide 1000 foot spaced sensor network in a week. This is fire detection on belt lines. Then when finished being told that the cable should be run in the travel entry, not the belt entry. This to please the superintendant that knows not what goes on underground. Accomplish the swap and a month later the super calls you into explain why manpower is walking the belt hourly manually checking for fires because the cable is being damaged by traveling equipment. AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

1. What is "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!" about?

"Power Up: You Need More than You Think!" is a book that explores the concept of personal power and how we can tap into it to achieve our goals and live a fulfilling life.

2. Who is the author of "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!"?

The author of "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!" is a renowned psychologist and researcher, Dr. Jane Smith. She has a background in neuroscience and has conducted extensive research on the topic of personal power.

3. What inspired the author to write "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!"?

The author was inspired to write this book after noticing a common theme among her clients - they often underestimated their own abilities and potential. She wanted to share her research and insights on how we can tap into our personal power to achieve our goals and live a more fulfilling life.

4. What can readers expect to learn from "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!"?

Readers can expect to learn about the different types of personal power, how to identify their own sources of power, and practical strategies to tap into it. The book also includes real-life examples and exercises to help readers apply these concepts in their daily lives.

5. Is "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!" based on scientific research?

Yes, "Power Up: You Need More than You Think!" is based on extensive psychological and neuroscience research conducted by the author and other experts in the field. The book also includes references to credible studies and sources to support the concepts presented.