Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh Halp! I Haz Flu!

1. Apr 11, 2010 #1
    I've been sick all weekend with the flu, and tomorrow I have a big test, so I haven't studied. I've spent all weekend shivering under the blankets and sobbing silently to myself. The last time I had the flu was 8 years ago! I have been getting very little sleep lately, and I can't sleep with this flu.
    It's all I can do to drag myself to the computer. Today I had some tea; went for a slow, painful walk; then had a bath. I'm feeling a bit better now. I saw lots of pretty girls jogging when I was out on my stroll; and there I was, feeling and looking like Death. Anyway, I've been drinking lots of water (a glass every hour) and tea, and eating lots of fruits and veggies. What else should I be doing? I feel I'm going to do badly on this test...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2010 #2
    Do all that and also sleep.
    I work with a Muslim guy and he always has the worst advice for getting over illnesses: Fast and workout. If that's what he does, I'm surprised he hasn't died.

4. Apr 11, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

That is actually a great advice for general health.

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    Are you a girl? If so, sleep and the like, get rest and all that junk.

Are you a guy? Harden the ***k up. You're crying? Seriously? Crying is only allowed when your dog or mother dies. And that has to be a solitary tear. Not a torrent like the hoover dam just broke. Get up and go work on an oil rig for a week. See how nice it is to have the flu after that.

6. Apr 11, 2010 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

:rofl:

cinnamon+ginger tea, that does it for me. Get well soon :smile:

7. Apr 11, 2010 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmm, strange that this flu makes you talk like an LOLCat.

Hope you're better soon - maybe you could send an email to your professor? He/she may recommend you stay home, to not infect the whole class.

8. Apr 11, 2010 #7
    I would take the opportunity to infect the class. The other students are competition so it doesn't hurt to tamper with their progress.

9. Apr 11, 2010 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Having the "real" flu, which it sounds like you have is horrible, i feel so sorry for you. Do contact your professor, he may not want you there and can allow a make up date.

10. Apr 11, 2010 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

MotoH is part troll. You don't need to listen to all of it.

11. Apr 11, 2010 #10
    How you been to doctor yet? Professor wouldn't trust you unless you have a doctor certificate.

12. Apr 11, 2010 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A doctor? Doctor Who?

("parallel thread" joke)

13. Apr 11, 2010 #12
    I don't know who is Doctor Who :biggrin:

14. Apr 12, 2010 #13
    Fasting? What's good about fasting?
    And working out when you're sick is the opposite thing you should be doing.

15. Apr 12, 2010 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

Calorie restriction increased lifespan in similar vermin to humans, and regular moderate exercise boosts your immune system. I didn't say he should be working out while he has the flu, but if he has been in a good shape prior to being exposed to the virus, he would've stood a better chance of not getting sick.

16. Apr 12, 2010 #15
    Play Second Life.

Don't let sickness slow you down in achieving your goals.

I play Second Life for about 9 hours a day.

17. Apr 12, 2010 #16
    not cool

18. Apr 12, 2010 #17

cronxeh

Gold Member

I still have my Harley parked somewhe in Second Life. And a stache of weapons that no longer work :(

19. Apr 12, 2010 #18
    I'm not so good at sarcasm.

20. Apr 12, 2010 #19

fluidistic

Gold Member

"Professor, would you mind to put me an A without taking the test? I'm going to get an A anyway and if I take the test you'll get flu right after putting me the grade I deserve." Kidding. Hope you didn't do bad in the test.

21. Apr 12, 2010 #20
    Fasting isn't the same as calorie restriction. Fasting is just periods where you don't eat anything. Calorie restriction is where you eat very little over your entire lifetime.
    But you said it like it was contrary to what I said. I was saying you don't want to do it while working out. I already knew working out was good for you when you're not sick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook