What is the science of life?

• Thread starter Alkatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary: Yes, that's true. But I was referring to the fact that the girl's behavior is not something to be encouraged or tolerated. And I was also responding to Alkatran's post where he said that "Once you're in a marriage you either agree with the woman or go through hell UNTIL you agree with the woman." I don't think that was a joke. :uhh:In summary, Danielle..portfolio work was testing Craig's knowledge on the science of life. Craig responded with the answer "biology", but also joked that if it was a crazy test, the answer might be "religion" or "alternative medicine". Danielle then corrected him,
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Danielle..portfolio work says:
i am testing u..question
what is the science of life?
Craig says:
Biology
Craig says:
Unless it's a crazy test, in which case the answer is probably "religion" or "alternative medicine"
WRONG....LOL
its ayurvedic...
it means the science of life
its a holostic treatment
from India \
Craig says:
DEFINITION FROM DICTIONARY.COM:
Craig says:
The ancient Hindu science of health and medicine.
Craig says:
I told you, alternative medicine
what about it
Craig says:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=biology
Craig says:
First defintion
Craig says:
SCIENCE OF LIFE AND ...
Craig says:
I win

Score! hehe :rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
What was her reply to that?

I know what mine would of been. :grumpy:

Ya know when a males claims to have won to a woman, it normally means he has lost. This of course you'll learn with age.

hypatia said:
Ya know when a males claims to have won to a woman, it normally means he has lost. This of course you'll learn with age.
Of course, when a man gets involved with a woman who acts like this, he's really already lost.

- Warren

It does make you wonder eh?

I haven't yet gotten past the appearance that her handle is "Danielle..portfolio work"

Am I reading that wrong? :confused: When people start talking about alternative medicine, I don't even bother trying to correct their misconceptions about biology anymore. They aren't interested in having their bubble burst and my blood pressure can't handle their stubborn insistence on remaining ignorant. I only stick around if they include massage therapy in their practice, because you can almost always trick them into giving you a free massage. :biggrin:

After that I essentially rubbed it in (If I'm going to find out I'm always wrong I'd better enjoy it now!) and told her that heuristic > holistic.

She believes in alternative medicine but my goal is to 'eventually' get her to to actually test these things.

By the way, she's not in a course devoted to alternative medicine, she's in esthetics (ugh, beauty school). So no surprise there's alternative medicine there...

I believe in alternative medicine. I read somewhere that massage causes babies to develop faster. Once, an accident turned an inch-wide strip on one side of my face into hamburger through contact with pavement, and the dermatologist said that I should stay out of the sun for a month, maybe two, I believe to avoid scarring. In only five days of alternative treatment (herbal and homeopathic), there was nothing visible but a little pink mark beneath my eye. The rest was smooth skin that looked just like the surrounding skin.

Girls don't always win.

Guys who think they do are foolish.

JasonRox said:
Girls don't always win.

Guys who think they do are foolish.

The idea is that once you're in a marriage you either agree with the woman or go through hell UNTIL you agree with the woman. It doesn't matter if she's "really" right, she's "just" right.

Alkatran said:
The idea is that once you're in a marriage you either agree with the woman or go through hell UNTIL you agree with the woman. It doesn't matter if she's "really" right, she's "just" right.

I disagree.

I love romance myself, as a guy. If she played stupid, I wouldn't do anything romantic... therefore she is going through hell.

Note: I do romantic things... just about every week or more. It's so much fun.

Alkatran said:
Women like this don't deserve to have partners. Sorry, but I'm with JasonRox.

- Warren

Poor Alkatran, if you think you need to put up with that kind of behavior from a woman, I am afraid that you are doomed to a life of hell. :frown:

JasonRox said:
I disagree.

I love romance myself, as a guy. If she played stupid, I wouldn't do anything romantic... therefore she is going through hell.

Note: I do romantic things... just about every week or more. It's so much fun.

Well, I'm not a fan of witholding romance to get your way or to "punish" your partner for things. On the other hand, if someone else does the same thing (makes your life miserable if you don't agree with them and say they are right all the time), then there's no reason to stay with them. I'm not talking about playful teasing, but when someone is serious and witholds affection to get their way.

Haha, you guys take me too seriously.

She doesn't treat me like that and I don't treat her like that. I was talking STEREOTYPE. Jeez. :rolleyes:

chroot said:

- Warren
:rolleyes: she was just playing a joke on him, how is he ever supposed to get the answer ayurvedic right?

I think a guy who can't take a joke and needs to be right has issues. In this scenario both seemed to be playing a joke on each other.

chroot said:

- Warren

As am I.

*looks around for signs of the apocalypse*

I don't know about you guys, but are playful things done as a couple an inside thing.

I think it's wrong to think we should all know what he meant by it, especially through the non-emotional online communication.

JasonRox said:
I don't know about you guys, but are playful things done as a couple an inside thing.

I think it's wrong to think we should all know what he meant by it, especially through the non-emotional online communication.

Yeah, I didn't realize it was a joke either. Had he told us the story in person, we'd have probably picked up on it right away from his tone of voice or if he was laughing or whatnot, but as told here, it was easily missed.

Hmmm, PF being weird today

Last edited:
Alkatran said:
After that I essentially rubbed it in (If I'm going to find out I'm always wrong I'd better enjoy it now!) and told her that heuristic > holistic.

She believes in alternative medicine but my goal is to 'eventually' get her to to actually test these things.

By the way, she's not in a course devoted to alternative medicine, she's in esthetics (ugh, beauty school). So no surprise there's alternative medicine there...

Doesn't sound like a joke to me.

It didn't sound like a joke to me, either. And I didn't get the feeling that these were old lovers ribbing each other, I got the feeling they were just beginning to date, and already having ego clashes.

And Monique, you're missing the point. My nearly 6,000 posts on physicsforums notwithstanding, I actually do have a sense of humor. And I certainly never said that Alkatran should "have to be right," and certainly not because he's male. The gender has little to do with my assessment of the situation.

What I meant was that neither party should really be quizzing the other's belief systems and deriding the other's answers. There's really no quicker way to ensure an unhealthy relationship than to attack your partner's beliefs. That kind of debate is fun in the right circles, but it's a death knell for personal relationships. If this woman routinely goes around quizzing her boyfriends on their personal beliefs, then takes such pleasure in declaring that they're wrong, she never going to have a successful relationship, particularly with a man like Alkatran who is in possession of a dictionary.

- Warren

chroot said:
What I meant was that neither party should really be quizzing the other's belief systems and deriding the other's answers. There's really no quicker way to ensure an unhealthy relationship than to attack your partner's beliefs. That kind of debate is fun in the right circles, but it's a death knell for personal relationships. If this woman routinely goes around quizzing her boyfriends on their personal beliefs, then takes such pleasure in declaring that they're wrong, she never going to have a successful relationship, particularly with a man like Alkatran who is in possession of a dictionary.

- Warren
This all is taken too seriously. The girl learned a new word in class: ayurvedic, and wanted to show it off by pulling a joke. It sounds like something I would've done when I was that age.

Monique said:
This all is taken too seriously. The girl learned a new word in class: ayurvedic, and wanted to show it off by pulling a joke. It sounds like something I would've done when I was that age.

Now we know that. At least for some of us, it wasn't so obvious when it was first posted. Now I realize it's not much unlike those of us who came home from school one day and asked our parents to pass the sodium chloride at dinner. You just have to make sure you're doing that with someone you know well enough to be sure they are taking it as a joke if it's meant to be a joke.

Well, whatever works, right?

Isn't that the science of life? "Whatever works" ... ?

Monique said:

Where has anyone other than you said it was a joke? I still don't buy it.

I suppose it probably sounds harsh on the internet, but they're right, I was playing around. I made fun of her some more when I went over. :tongue: Although I did have to set her straight on "Vaccinations being bad," I actually convinced her on that one! :eek: (oh cmon, it's not that hard to do: "Why would they be bad? They put a weakened form of the disease in you so your body can create antibodies for it and fight it much better when it comes along. I mean I'm sure there's some danger involved in injecting disease, my cousin was 1 out of the billion who ended up retarded because of a vaccination, but in general it's very helpful."

OH I should have pointed out that doctor's weren't money sucking vampires because vaccination = less business!

Telos said:
Isn't that the science of life? "Whatever works" ... ?
Correct. The science of death is "Whatever doesn't work". :approve:

Alkatran said:
I suppose it probably sounds harsh on the internet, but they're right, I was playing around. I made fun of her some more when I went over. :tongue: Although I did have to set her straight on "Vaccinations being bad," I actually convinced her on that one! :eek: (oh cmon, it's not that hard to do: "Why would they be bad? They put a weakened form of the disease in you so your body can create antibodies for it and fight it much better when it comes along. I mean I'm sure there's some danger involved in injecting disease, my cousin was 1 out of the billion who ended up retarded because of a vaccination, but in general it's very helpful."

OH I should have pointed out that doctor's weren't money sucking vampires because vaccination = less business!

Yeah, but was she joking?

Quote: NO...LOL