Oh I feel so insignificant help me

• Thread starter Cyrus200
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation includes a series of math questions, specifically solving for X in two equations. The first equation involves using logarithms to find the value of X, while the second equation requires additional information for a definite solution. The conversation also includes a discussion about posting math questions on the forum and feeling insignificant in regards to math.
Cyrus200
ok a friend told me that this is a great forum.
yeah i need two questions...ahem i feel helpless so bare with me...

Legend-To the power is (^)

Solve for X

1)8^1/4 times (1/4)^x over 2 = 16^3/4

2)5^24x^2 = 5^-71x+30

Im new here and i will spending a lot of time here because Math isn't one of my strongest subjects, I am in grd.11 advance math btw.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh I am deeply sorry I posted in the wrong board...*sigh*
Would one of the mods. erase this...sorry again

Nothing wrong with feeling insignificant!

Also nothing wrong with posting mathematics questions to the mathematics board!

Although you might get a more sympathetic hearing for problems like these by posting to the "homework" boards.

In any case, you have:
1)8^1/4 times (1/4)^x over 2 = 16^3/4

By which I guess you mean 8^(1/4)*(1/4)^x/2= 16^(3/4)

First thing you should do is clear the "constant" parts from the left side by dividing the equation by 8^(1/4) and multiplying by 2. That gives (1/4)^x = 2(16^(3/4))/8^(1/4). It might help to break 16 into 2*8 and write 16^(3/4) as 2^(3/4)*8^(3/4). 8^(3/4)= (8^(1/4))^3 so 8^(3/4)/8^(1/4)= (8^(1/4))^2= 8^(1/2)= (4*2)^(1/2)= 2*2^(1/2).

That simplifies the right side to give (1/4)^x= 4*2^(1/2).

Since x is an exponent on the right, you need to use the "opposite" of exponential, the logarithm.
log((1/4)^x)= xlog(1/4)= log(4*2^(1/2)= log(4)+ (1/2)log(2)
so x= (log(4)+ (1/2)log(2))/(log(1/4))

Since log(4)= log(2^2)= 2log(2) and log(1/4)= -log(4)= -2log(2),

x= (2log(2)+ (1/2)log(2))/(-2log(2))
= (2+ 1/2)log(2)/(-2 log(2))= (5/2)/(-2)= -5/4.

2)5^24x^2 = 5^-71x+30

Here we really need more information- more parentheses!

Does 5^24x^2 mean 5^(24x^2)?. In other words is the x^2 in the exponent as well?

Also does 5^-71x+ 30 mean (5^(-71))x+ 30
or (5^(-71x))+ 30 or 5^(-71x+ 30)?

Sky high! w00t! Go fish! MONG

o_O couldn't hurt to use a few more parentheses. Please edit your post if you don't already have the solutions?

the first one is kinda confusing cause the way you typed it. but the second one is not hard. since both sides have the base of 5, and they are equal, that means the exponents have to be the same. so 24x^2=-71x+30

this thread reminds me of homer and jethro: "lord, I feel so unnecessary"

If you meant
((8^.25)(.25^x))/2 = 16^.75
then, x = -1.625.

1. Why do I feel so insignificant?

There can be many reasons why you may feel insignificant. It could be due to low self-esteem, past experiences, or societal pressure to achieve a certain level of success. It's important to identify the root cause and work towards addressing it.

2. How can I overcome this feeling of insignificance?

One way to overcome this feeling is by practicing self-care and self-love. Engage in activities that make you happy and boost your confidence. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who appreciate you for who you are.

3. Is it normal to feel insignificant sometimes?

Yes, it is normal to feel insignificant at times. We all have moments of self-doubt and insecurity. It's important to recognize that these feelings are temporary and that you are capable and worthy.

4. Can seeking validation from others help me feel less insignificant?

While receiving validation from others can temporarily boost your self-esteem, it is important to develop self-validation. Relying on others for validation can be draining and may not always be available. Building a strong sense of self-worth and self-love can help combat feelings of insignificance.

5. Will seeking professional help benefit me in overcoming this feeling?

Seeking professional help can be beneficial in overcoming feelings of insignificance. A therapist or counselor can provide you with tools and techniques to improve your self-esteem and cope with any underlying issues. They can also provide a safe space for you to express your feelings and work towards personal growth.