Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh, Jesse, Jesse, Jesse

1. Jul 9, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a blunder!

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hTPPM5eyoWa5PgeObNcWP0chAopQD91QMMU80

:eek:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2008 #2
    That's not very Reverendly of him.

4. Jul 9, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apart from the stupidity of what was said, for a seasoned pol to assume a mic is off is a dumb rookie mistake.

As far as what Jackson said: he was criticizing Obama - a family man - for stating how important the role of father is. Falls flat from a man who bore an illegitimate child, especially when the child's mom states that...

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/US/08/16/jackson.mistress/

Maybe Obama's comments hit a bit too close to home!

5. Jul 10, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Jul 10, 2008 #5
    I always expect stupid things from a idiot, I'm not a bit surprised.

7. Jul 10, 2008 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the clip

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  8. Jul 10, 2008 #7
    Dear Barack,

I apologize. I apologize for getting caught.

Sincerely,
    The Reverend Jesse Jackson

9. Jul 10, 2008 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I don't see Obama talking down to black people at all. I do see him admonishing absentee fathers, which is appropriate.

10. Jul 10, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this helps Obama. Jackson has always been too extreme for most voters, and providing some distance between him and Obama helps to make Obama look more mainstream. The only person damaged was Jackson. Obama isn't going to lose the black vote.

It is a stretch, but I could believe that Jackson knew that he was being recorded, and that this was intentional. Given his long history, Jackson is very media savvy. That bothered me a bit when I saw the clip.

11. Jul 10, 2008 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes like Jackson for instance. :rolleyes:

12. Jul 21, 2008 #11
    Jackson DID do a lot of good in his time. I have not forgiven him for slur against the Jews that one time, but I think he said he was sorry for it. So that's okish... I guess. All in all though he's done more good than harm-- and I think he gets too much flack.

He's an old man now and he needs to step back a little and let new people take over. The 60s are over and so are the 70s.

13. Jul 21, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

You bet!

If a man is not willing to support his children, then he ought to keep to himself, i.e. not get a woman pregnant. Conversely, if a man contributes to child, the he must support that child.

IMO, 'good' people don't use racial slurs or epithets, not even in jest, and not in private.

With someone like Jackson, I often am left to wonder do they do good for the purpose of doing good or doing the right thing, or do they do it for the fame/prestige and fortune that accompanies a leading role. The more people put themselves in the public eye, the more I am suspicious that they are seeking prestige, power and fortune. I greatly respect people who work quietly behind the scenes, and do what is right without public adulation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?