Solving DC Circuits: Questions 23 & 35

Pro 35."I3=I2+I1 Loop 1: 12=(1)I1+(8)I2 Loop 2: 12=(1)I2+(10)I2+(12)I2 Loop 3: 6=(1)I3+(18)I3+(15)I3+(10)I2+(1)I2"You are on the right track with Kirchhoff's Laws. However, you have made a mistake in setting up your equations for Loop 2 and Loop 3. Loop 2 should be 12=(1)I1+(10)I2+(12)I3 and Loop 3 should be 6=(1)I
physpopib
Been stumped on these 2 questions for at least a week.
Both diagrams scanned + uploaded.
23.Find the current in the 8 ohm resistor.
1/Req1=1/8+1/4
2.67+6=8.67
1/Req2=1/8.67+1/10
R=4.27+.5+5=10.14
I first found the voltage drop in each resistor.
I=V/R
I=9/10.14=.89A
volt.drop .5 resistor=.5*.89=.445V
volt.drop 5 resistor=5*.89=4.45V
volt.drop 4.27 resistor=4.27*.89=3.8V
Then I solved for current in the 8 ohm resistor.
I=[9V-(.89A)*(.5*5)]/x ohm
And that's where I'm stuck. Don't know what ohm to divide by. I think 25 but I don't know why. :confused:
35.What would current I1 be if the 12 ohm resistor were shorted out(r=1 ohm)?
OK...this is where I'm just screwed by Kirchhoff's Laws.
I'm thinking:
I3=I2+I1
Loop 1: 12=(1)I1+(8)I2
Loop 2: 12=(1)I2+(10)I2+(12)I2
Loop 3: 6=(1)I3+(18)I3+(15)I3+(10)I2+(1)I2
:frown: Completely stuck. Help please.

Attachments

• number23.JPG
    number23.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 368
  • number35.JPG
    number35.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Pro 23.

"I=[9V-(.89A)*(.5*5)]/x ohm"
No quite.
Use Req2 to find the voltage drop over that system of resistors. Or
VReq2=[9V-(.89A)*(.5*5)]

Then find the current going through Req1 + 6. Now you can find the voltage drop over Req1. Once you have the voltage drop you can find the current.

Does this make sense?

For question 23, it looks like you have all the right steps in finding the current in the 8 ohm resistor. However, instead of trying to solve for the unknown resistance (x), you can simply use the current you found in the 10.14 ohm equivalent resistor (0.89A) and apply Ohm's Law to find the current in the 8 ohm resistor.

I = V/R = 9V/8 ohm = 1.125A

For question 35, you are on the right track with using Kirchhoff's Laws. However, you need to take into account that when the 12 ohm resistor is shorted out, it no longer has any resistance and can be ignored in the circuit. This means that the current in loop 1 (I1) will now only flow through the 1 ohm resistor and the 8 ohm resistor.

Using Kirchhoff's Laws, you should get the following equations:

Loop 1: 12 = (1)I1 + (8)I2
Loop 2: 12 = (1)I2 + (10)I2 + (12)I2

Solving for I1, you will get:

I1 = (12 - (8)I2)/1

Substituting this into Loop 2, you will get:

12 = (1)I2 + (10)I2 + (12)I2 + (12 - (8)I2)
12 = (15)I2
I2 = 0.8A

Now, you can use this value of I2 to solve for I1:

I1 = (12 - (8)(0.8))/1 = 5.6A

So, when the 12 ohm resistor is shorted out, the current in the 1 ohm resistor (I1) will be 5.6A.

I hope this helps and clarifies the steps you need to take in solving these two problems. Remember to always double check your equations and units when solving DC circuits. Good luck!

1. How do I solve DC circuits?

To solve DC circuits, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) flowing through a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V=IR. You also need to use Kirchhoff's Laws, which state that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, so the current flowing through each component is the same. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in separate branches, so the current is divided among the branches. Additionally, in a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances, whereas in a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

3. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula is based on the fact that the inverse of the total resistance is equal to the sum of the inverse of each individual resistance.

4. What is a voltage divider?

A voltage divider is a circuit that divides a voltage into smaller portions using resistors. This is often used to provide specific voltage levels to various components in a circuit. The output voltage of a voltage divider can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin * (R2 / (R1 + R2)), where Vin is the input voltage and R1 and R2 are the resistances in the circuit.

5. How do I account for the internal resistance of a battery in a circuit?

To account for the internal resistance of a battery in a circuit, you can model it as a resistor in series with the battery. This internal resistance can affect the overall resistance and voltage in the circuit, so it is important to consider when analyzing a circuit. The internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter or calculated using other circuit values.