1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh my god I forgot how to do limits

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

So here I am doing vector calculus homework and BOOM, 1st semester calculus limits slap me in the face. Now I re-read up on L'Hospitals rule for when you have 0/0 but I can't remember what you are suppose to do when you have say, 3/0 as the limit x-->0

What is the procedure for that.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2005 #2
    Whats the function? Usually if you get constant over constant then you can filter out a multiplicative factor from the equation before taking the limit

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the numerator of a fraction goes to a non-zero constant while the denominator goes to zero- there is NO limit!

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

instead of relearning "how to do them", why not learn for once and all what they mean?

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5
    yeah, this is true. Limits are a topic where if you understand them (and if you don't understand limits then you don't really understand anything in calculus, but you might THINK you do, and if you don't understand anything in calculus then you don't understand most things in engineering and physics.) then you will probably know how to find them forever. If you understnad limits then all you need to find them are some algebra skills and maybe a very short list of theorems under your belt, such as L'Hospital's rule.

7. Jun 5, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Don't go too hard on him, he's a nice penguin.

8. Oct 23, 2006 #7

lol indeed so

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?