Oh my god!

  • News
  • Thread starter sid_galt
  • Start date
  • #1
502
0

Answers and Replies

  • #2
Skyhunter
sid_galt said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1568467,00.html

Read the whole thing.

The god damn barbarians!
Are you talking about the people getting the treatments?

The people taking it from dead humans?

The peope taking it from dead humans without their consent after they were executed?

Or all of the above?
 
  • #3
EL
Science Advisor
547
0
Sounds like a tall story.
 
  • #4
502
0
Skyhunter said:
Are you talking about the people getting the treatments?

The people taking it from dead humans?

The peope taking it from dead humans without their consent after they were executed?

Or all of the above?
About the last two. Most of the people buying this product wouldn't even be knowing what this is made of.

Assuming that the Guardian is to be trusted: Many of the prisoners in China are political prisoners. What the Chinese are doing basically amounts to killing innocent and guilty people and then using them to manufacture products. This is just like the Nazis.
 
  • #5
Skyhunter
sid_galt said:
About the last two. Most of the people buying this product wouldn't even be knowing what this is made of.

Assuming that the Guardian is to be trusted: Many of the prisoners in China are political prisoners. What the Chinese are doing basically amounts to killing innocent and guilty people and then using them to manufacture products. This is just like the Nazis.
I found all three to be repugnant. :yuck: Having any dead animal injected into me would be disgusting, and they do it for vanity.

If there were no market. there would be no market. I believe the story probably has some merit, but it is also probably dramatized.

No doubt though, the Chinese Govt. is at least as proficient at propaganda as the US.
 
  • #6
Art
sid_galt said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1568467,00.html

Read the whole thing.

The god damn barbarians!
Seems to be just a continuation of a British tradition. Back in 1752 parliament passed an act giving the medical profession the bodies of executed felons for dissection. As this didn't satisfy demand and body snatching was still rife parliament then extended it to paupers.
The same basic motivation being as now the rich wanted treatments which required human experimentation so who better than the 'great unwashed' to provide the raw material.

An added advantage for the rich was it was believed back then you could not go to heaven if you had been dissected and so it reduced the number of peasants they'd have to suffer in the afterlife.

Who says China isn't capitalist :biggrin:
 
  • #7
502
0
Art said:
The same basic motivation being as now the rich wanted treatments which required human experimentation so who better than the 'great unwashed' to provide the raw material.
Are you all right? A cure is good for everyone, not just the rich.

Art said:
Who says China isn't capitalist :biggrin:
I do. It's communist. If you deny that, you are denying reality.
 
Last edited:
  • #8
502
0
Skyhunter said:
No doubt though, the Chinese Govt. is at least as proficient at propaganda as the US.
The US government is not a propaganda machine. It's far better than the PRC by any rational measure.
And if it hadn't been for the US, the Chinese would have been doing this over half of the world by now.
 
  • #9
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
5
sid galt said:
The US government is not a propaganda machine
Dream on brother.
 
  • #10
288
0
sid_galt said:
The US government is not a propaganda machine. It's far better than the PRC by any rational measure.
And if it hadn't been for the US, the Chinese would have been doing this over half of the world by now.
Was the last sentence meant humorously? As in, pro-US propaganda?
 
  • #11
356
2
sid_galt said:
And if it hadn't been for the US, the Chinese would have been doing this over half of the world by now.
Look, I know people say imagination is good and all.. but your just taking it too far.
 
  • #12
EL
Science Advisor
547
0
sid_galt said:
The US government is not a propaganda machine. It's far better than the PRC by any rational measure.
And if it hadn't been for the US, the Chinese would have been doing this over half of the world by now.
Wow, the US government propaganda is really succesfull in some cases! :wink:
 
  • #13
Art
sid_galt said:
Are you all right? A cure is good for everyone, not just the rich.
:confused: Do you think the poor had access to doctors??


sid_galt said:
I do. It's communist. If you deny that, you are denying reality.
As they have private ownership of property they have a mixed economy not a communist one.

BTW I believe the early US had it's fair share of 'resurrection men' as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #14
Skyhunter
sid_galt said:
The US government is not a propaganda machine. It's far better than the PRC by any rational measure.
And if it hadn't been for the US, the Chinese would have been doing this over half of the world by now.
My point was that if the US government can convince people to support a war under false pretenses that the Chinese government can convince people that the victims gave their permission to allow their bodies to be harvested.

I think the whole cosmetic surgery industry, except in the case of birth defects or disfigurement is immoral and barbaric.
 
  • #15
cronxeh
Gold Member
961
10
meheheh

you'll think twice before giving your Chinese girlfriend a kiss on the cheek next time :biggrin:

Last I saw a lip gloss being made it had some animals and fat in it too
 
  • #16
356
2
sid_galt said:
I do. It's communist. If you deny that, you are denying reality.
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=china+"Market+economy"&meta=

Don't believe the internet? Go down to your local university and ask an economist professor how market oriented china is. Ask for details, ask for an in-depth explanation of how that is un-communist. Furthermore ask how that compares to most countries in the west (I think you'll find Canada is, in many ways, much much more "communist" than China. - and that they're both very much market economies)
 
  • #17
356
2
Skyhunter said:
I think the whole cosmetic surgery industry, except in the case of birth defects or disfigurement is immoral and barbaric.
The entire pharmeceutical industry is too.
 
  • #18
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
6,786
5
Smurf said:
The entire pharmeceutical industry is too.

Entire? Immoral? Why?
 
  • #19
Skyhunter
Smurf said:
The entire pharmeceutical industry is too.
I wouldn't say it is entirely, there are good things that come from it. The biggest problem is the "Food and Drug Administration, especially under Bush, is run by ex industry execs. so they tend to promote pro industry policies. If people were told the truth, and encouraged to eat a plant based diet they would have little need for all the drugs they must take for all the diseases associated with poor diet.

They get none of my money. I take seriously what Hippocrates said. My children and I are healthy We don't even get colds and/or flues anymore.

Hippocrates, the person the Hippocratic Oath that doctors take is named after, said, "Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food."
 
  • #20
356
2
Skyhunter said:
I wouldn't say it is entirely, there are good things that come from it.
I agree. I meant to subject it to similar extreme exceptions that you applied to cosmetics. It was too weakly implied I guess.
 

Related Threads for: Oh my god!

  • Last Post
Replies
21
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
5
Views
1K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
18
Views
3K
Replies
14
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
11
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
1K
Top