Starting astrophysics in college

In summary, Aimee is a 16-year-old high school student who is in an Astrophysics class and plans to study Physics and Astronomy in college. She feels very young and uninformed and is looking for people who share her interest in Science. She is welcomed and feels at home on the Homework Help forums.
ScienceGurl
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section, I'm new here, I'm Aimee and I'm 16...Well, geez...:redface: I feel so...young and uninformed. lol I'm just in High School and I am in an Astrophysics class and I'm going to take Physics next year and study Astronomy and Physics in College, but I feel so illiterate. Please don't shun me out, I just want to meet people who like Science just as much as I do and I look forward to meeting you. Is anyone in HighSchool or just beginning college here?? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome! You'll find lots of people in the same boat, so don't feel out of place. There are people from all walks of life who will be willing to answer questions, point you toward resources, etc. Don't be afraid to ask "Newbie" questions - those are the ones that need to be answered. It can be a little daunting to wander through the FAQs on every sub-forum on a site this big, and usually folks here are willing to chip in and point you toward relevant threads. Again, welcome!

Welcome, Aimee!

Welcome! PF is a community full of professionals and students alike. I felt the same way when I first showed up, but don't worry. PF is accepting of people from all different levels of education.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Last edited:
Welcome to PF!

Welcome to PF! And don't worry, people like you are the reason many of us are here. I hope you've found the Homework Help forums already, as it sounds like that's going to be something you'll want to use.

Hmm...I don't think anyone has begun the fish-wacking initiation ceremony for you yet. *rummages around fridge* Ah, here we go...since you sound a little uncertain, we'll go easy on you. A nice fresh, Atlantic salmon should do the trick...

*THWACK*

(By the way, if you're planning on hanging around with us, the sisterhood here needs to know your shoe size. :biggrin:)

ScienceGurl said:
...I'm just in High School and I am in an Astrophysics class and I'm going to take Physics next year and study Astronomy and Physics in College, . . . . I just want to meet people who like Science just as much as I do.
Welcome to PF! If you like Science, this is the place for you!

Moonbear said:
(By the way, if you're planning on hanging around with us, the sisterhood here needs to know your shoe size. :biggrin:)
What IS this with the shoe size? Would Kate Winslet not be admitted to the sisterhood because of her big feet, or would she perhaps relegated to that area of PF where big-boned girls are allowed? :uhh::wink:

P.S. I was going to warn you about the fish but I didn't. Since MIH didn't thwack you I thought it might have been called off for new female members :tongue: Any way, don't mind the fish everybody gets it. :smile:

Hi ScienceGurl and welcome. Aww Moonbear, that's so sweet of you to use the fresh fish. Nothing quite say's hello as a good Salmon to the head. Enjoy the forums Amiee!

ScienceGurl said:
Is anyone in HighSchool or just beginning college here?? :smile:

Hi! Welcome to PF!

To answer your question, I am 13 years old, so don't feel out of place :biggrin:.

Math Jeans said:
Hi! Welcome to PF!

To answer your question, I am 13 years old, so don't feel out of place :biggrin:.
To be fair, MJ is a chili-head and has been accepted into a sub-set of PF that treats hot foods as a region for exploration and exploitation. Chilies are COOL!

turbo-1 said:
To be fair, MJ is a chili-head and has been accepted into a sub-set of PF that treats hot foods as a region for exploration and exploitation. Chilies are COOL!

With my current state of mind I have no ability to counter that argument.

Math Jeans said:
With my current state of mind I have no ability to counter that argument.
Should you deny this I would have to disown you and leave you wandering the wilderness alone. Deny the Dark Side of the force, MJ!

turbo-1 said:
Should you deny this I would have to disown you and leave you wandering the wilderness alone. Deny the Dark Side of the force, MJ!

Call me Jeans :biggrin:. Generally my internet names are always <something> Jeans. Every single one except for my AIM...

I'm sorry. Did I shoot us off topic?

*BANG*

You did ask for me to shoot you, right?

*sigh*

Welcome

Kurdt said:
P.S. I was going to warn you about the fish but I didn't. Since MIH didn't thwack you I thought it might have been called off for new female members :tongue: Any way, don't mind the fish everybody gets it. :smile:

I'm falling down on the job because I hab a bad cold. *ack ack* Pass the Nyquil, please. Some sniffling jerkface sat next to me in lecture Monday and decided to share his germs with me. I was able to relocate during the break, but the damage had already been done. We have about 320 students and 300 seats so we are packed like sardines.

Anyway, I learned something new about "fish" today:

Battousii said:
"Fish" is an expression of surprise. :biggrin:
from https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1479616&postcount=11

I wonder if the origins are rooted in PF customs.

1. What are the required courses to start studying astrophysics in college?

The required courses to start studying astrophysics in college vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most programs will require courses in calculus, physics, and astronomy. Some programs may also require courses in computer science, statistics, and other related fields.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and science to study astrophysics in college?

Yes, a strong background in math and science is essential for studying astrophysics in college. As astrophysics is a highly mathematical and scientific field, students without a strong foundation in these subjects may struggle to keep up with the coursework.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are helpful for studying astrophysics in college?

Some skills and qualities that can be helpful for studying astrophysics in college include a strong curiosity and passion for the subject, strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and a strong work ethic. Being detail-oriented and having good communication skills can also be beneficial.

4. Are there any research opportunities available for undergraduates studying astrophysics in college?

Yes, many universities offer research opportunities for undergraduate students studying astrophysics. These opportunities may be through working with faculty members on their research projects or through internships and summer programs at research institutions.

5. What career options are available for students who study astrophysics in college?

Graduates with a degree in astrophysics can pursue a variety of career paths, including research positions in academia or at government agencies, roles in the aerospace industry, science communication and outreach positions, and more. Some students may also choose to pursue further education in graduate school, leading to opportunities in academia or research.