Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh no .

1. Dec 21, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh no.....

A conversation I just overheard.

Kyla: "Hey Jay, what is El Salvador?"

Jay: "It's a state in the country of Central America, maybe the capital".

Kyla: "Oh, like India!"

Jay: "Yes".

:bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2006 #2
    AHAhahah, you just cant make this kinda stuff up.

On one exam we had a test question where it asked what are op amps used for. The answer should have been things like addition, subtraction, differentiation, integration, filtering, of electrical signals etc.

my friend wrote down, stereos, computers, electronics. :rofl: ......yeah he lost points on that one.

4. Dec 21, 2006 #3

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Ours go to eleven!"

5. Dec 21, 2006 #4

berkeman

I overheard two young clerks talking at a store one time:

"Jeeze, that guy over there just walked in and bought five basketballs! Those things are $45 apiece! Man, five basketballs at $45 apiece, that's, that's, that's, ... a LOT!" :rolleyes:

6. Dec 21, 2006 #5
    :rofl:

Regarding the El India thing, I'm not sure how to react... :uhh: :confused: :biggrin: :grumpy: :confused::surprised :mad: :bugeye: :eek: :confused: :cry: :cry: :cry:

7. Dec 21, 2006 #6

radou

Homework Helper

Stupidity and ignorance is the worse combination of all. Too bad it almost always comes in the same package.

8. Dec 21, 2006 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That's nothing. I once had to argue with someone that "Asia" is not a country, but rather a continent. She was insisting that Asia is on par with the US as a country. I told her to go look up the United Nations and see if Asia has a seat.

Zz.

9. Dec 21, 2006 #8

russ_watters

A seat? Bench or chair?

10. Dec 21, 2006 #9
    I had to hold back laughter, when someone asked my why the Miss District of Columbia was in the Miss USA pagent.

11. Dec 21, 2006 #10

Evo

I'm afraid India may have just been moved north of South America, or perhaps they swapped locations. :tongue:

At least we now know that Central America is a country. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  12. Dec 21, 2006 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Best of" from my classes so far...

"How many feet are in a yard?" asked one football player.

"How come the planets aren't pulled apart when they pass through galaxies?"

13. Dec 21, 2006 #12

Evo

Now this one makes sense. I have a very large yard, how many people are in the yard and how big are their feet? :tongue2:

14. Dec 21, 2006 #13

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All right!! Listen to this one!

I was sitting in my ethics class a couple weeks ago and my professor was discussing Immanuel Kant and how he wanted to find the Ethical equivalent of Newton's Law of Gravity, "The Universal Law of Ethics" or whatever.

Well she gave us an example of how gravity is universal and this is the conversation she had with the girl sitting in the row next to me:

Prof: "So, <Generic Girl Name>, is there gravity on the moon?"
    Girl: "No."
    Prof:":bugeye: "
    Prof:"Well.....well How about on Jupiter?(Thinking everyone knows that Jupiteris big and will have gravity)"
    Other Girl Behind Me:(To the girl sitting behind her)"Is there Gravity on Jupiter??????"
    Me:":uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :yuck: :cry: :uhh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: "

I'm so glad to see that sixth grade science class has failed so many people...:uhh:

15. Dec 21, 2006 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

16. Dec 21, 2006 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I really don't know whether to laugh or cry about this.

17. Dec 21, 2006 #16
  18. Dec 21, 2006 #17
    At WalMart
    Son-"Dad, what does hypoallergenic mean"
    Dad-"Oh, that means you shouldn't take it or wear it if you're allergic to it"

19. Dec 21, 2006 #18

berkeman

BTW, if you're ever unlucky enough to be caught in a free-falling elevator, just jump up into the air right before it hits the ground, and you won't get hurt. This probably works for helicopter and plane crashes too.

20. Dec 21, 2006 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that same vein, berkeman, I hope you're aware that an airplane could never take off if you put it on a long conveyor belt, running backwards, instead of a runway.

Also, it's very clear that 0.999... cannot possibly equal one. I mean look at them, they look totally different!

- Warren

21. Dec 21, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait! There's hope for this one. It was on MythBusters, and Buster got REALLY busted up. :approve: At least the kids glued to the boob tube who occassionally turn on the Discovery Channel might know that one now. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?