1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh order comparsion

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compare each pairs according to their respective orders. Classify these forms by the relationships between the indicated constants.

Note: ki is a constant and all kis are mutually independent. (ki < kj where i < j),
    ki ≥1.0.

1) n! Vs. K1^ n => Here its Cap K not little k.

2) log(n^n ) Vs. log(k1^k2 ) => little k

2. Relevant equations

http://www.augustana.ca/~hackw/csc210/exhibit/chap04/bigOhRules.html

3. The attempt at a solution

Here I am doing Oh Comparison, and I am not sure how to say which greater than, less than, equal to. Say for problem 2:

From the Log of a Power Rule (link above) the order would be O(log n) and O(log k1). Now n can be any number and k1 can be any number. So how would I know which is greater than, less than, or equal to? For all I know n=200 and k1 = 10, or maybe not?

For problem 1 same thing. K1 can be any number as well as n. If n= 2, than 2! = 2, and K1^2 .

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I assume you are referring to the comparative orders as n goes to infinity.

Look at the fractions.

1) What is
    [tex]\frac{K1^n}{n!}[/tex]
    as n goes to infinity? Notice that numerator and denominator both have n terms but each factor in the numerator is K1 while factors in the denominator get larger and larger.

2) is easy! the denominator log(k1k2) is a constant! Any unbounded function of n will eventually be larger than any constant as n goes to infinity!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  4. Sep 23, 2008 #3
    Thank You HallsofIvy for the help. I spoke to the teacher about this and apparently big K and little k are the same thing (K1=k1, K2 = k2), so would this change anything?

5. Sep 23, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Not at all. They are just arbitrary numbers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?