Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oh, the irony!

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This has me laughing pretty hard this morning (which is quite a feat given how much of a morning person I am...not). I've discovered I have a mouse living in my kitchen. How did I discover this? By the trail of mouse droppings to and around the cat food dish! :biggrin:

So, now I just wonder how long it will be before the cat catches on that there's a mouse with cat-food stuffing in the kitchen? :rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe your cat is having a playdate with the mouse. Keep it around and you can rename them Tom and Jerry

4. Jan 3, 2007 #3

radou

Homework Helper

I had a mouse twice in my storage room, but I don't have a cat. That was quite a picture, my dad scaring it off away with a broom. :biggrin:

5. Jan 3, 2007 #4
    Well there's no way your cats gonna go on a mouse hunt if you're conveniently feeding him with from a dish. Things have to get desperate.

6. Jan 3, 2007 #5
    Aww Ember has a mousie friend! Won't she be suprised when this one moves on its own:bugeye:

7. Jan 3, 2007 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We had a mouse that stole dog food from the dog's dish, and stashed it in the upper part of the washing machine. Every now and then we'd wash a load of clothes and find five or ten pieces of dog food in it afterwards. For a while, we thought we were all going nuts.

- Warren

8. Jan 3, 2007 #7
    You've never had a pet cat before, have you? My cat is fed from a dish and still goes mice/bird hunting.

9. Jan 3, 2007 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to get "love offerings" once a week.

10. Jan 3, 2007 #9
    i have cats at my yard(they're not street cats, they are being well taken care of, just that they dont resident our house).
    so, one day, i found my very cute cat playing with a headless mouse, its not hard to imagine who was responsible for the ripped off head. thanks god i did not see the head.
    anyway, the cat just played with its headless body, and it appeared he had no interest in eating it, that's just cruel...
    so i buried the cat's new play toy, since it started to stink.

those cats of mine are hunters, its often i see bird skeletons and feather in my yard. im not sure, but once, i think i found a beak alone.
    also i remember my cats surrounding a hedgehog , though they did not dare to attack, they just mourned for the unfulfilled potential of his flesh.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2007
  11. Jan 3, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Ember is like our cats, she probably let it in when you weren't looking.

12. Jan 3, 2007 #11
    My cat would do that, only to lure it into a trap :uhh:

13. Jan 3, 2007 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One of my other colleagues volunteered the use of his dog if Ember doesn't take care of it. Apparently his cats are good at carrying in live mice, and it's the dog that has to clean up after them and kill the mice in the house. :rofl:

I don't really want Ember to catch the mouse, because I don't want her exposed to the potential parasites mice carry, but since I discovered this as I was getting ready to head out of town and she has the run of the house for a few days, I'm not sure what I'll find when I return (at least if she runs out of dry food before her sitter gets there, I know she has some "delivery" :biggrin:). I just hope the mouse doesn't move in all its relatives before I return.

14. Jan 4, 2007 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the biggest risk to the cat is if you put out poison for the mouse(mice) and then the cat catches them. Traps might be the best option.

15. Jan 4, 2007 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

at least she isn't bringing you snakes. Jelly brought me something like 20 little snakes one week. She had found a bunch of them somewhere. She brought them in alive so she could play with them.

16. Jan 4, 2007 #15

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:surprised Ewwwww, what did you do? Mice, moles and grasshoppers I can handle, but no snakes. :yuck:

17. Jan 4, 2007 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were not easy to catch, but I had to grab them and fling them out the door or off the balcony. There was one I couldn't find.. well, at least I didn't until some days later. I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and stepped on a cold squishy little corpse. :yuck:

18. Jan 4, 2007 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:bugeye: :eek: Ewwwwwww, ewwwwwww. The cats have brought a few frogs in, that's always sad. :frown:

19. Jan 4, 2007 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And your neighbors love you. :rofl:

When I was in high school, our cross country coach told us of a prank him and his friends pulled when they were in high school. They had a found a few small snakes, so they put one in a purse and left it on the sidewalk downtown. Great fun and they could replace the snake if it got away. Of course, eventually, a group of about four high school age kids noticed the purse and took it with them in their car instead of opening it on the sidewalk. The car was a good three blocks down the street by time it hit the brakes and they all jumped out in a panic. My coach and his friends didn't even get their purse back.

20. Jan 4, 2007 #19
    Most poison nowadays will not cause harm through secondary ingestion. It is simply a blood thinner and the mouse could never eat enough to cause damage to the cat from undigested poison in the stomach of the mouse.

21. Jan 4, 2007 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My neighbors' cats did anyway. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?