The Struggles of Dealing with Online Censorship

• Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
In summary, the scientist showed lack of judgement in wearing a sexist shirt to a public event. Some other scientists were offended, and management may be apoplectic if someone showed up at a press conference dressed similarly.
MartinJH
I feel this post may get deleted. This made me chuckle, though (and slightly weep :/);
Capture.png

Likes nsaspook and Enigman
Physics news on Phys.org
MartinJH said:
I feel this post may get deleted. This made me chuckle, though (and slightly weep :/);
Capture.png
Not much to discuss, but the scientist showed lack of judgement.

Likes Medicol
Certainly Taylor made a poor choice in wardrobe for that particular occasion, or at least he was thoughtless. I'd probably get reprimanded if I wore such a shirt to work, and I could possibly get suspended, as it would be a violation of practices in the workplace.

I think there is various possible discussion - e.g., trends in the media, especially the media that promotes/exploits Kim Kardashian, or other troubled individuals.

There could also be a discussion on the impact of Taylor's apparel. Look at how to news organization report on the event.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/11232986/Matt-Taylors-sexist-shirt-and-the-day-political-correctness-officially-went-mad.html [Broken]
"Matt Taylor's sexist shirt and the day political correctness officially went mad"
"All eyes should have been on Rosetta and Philae's voyage to Comet 67P [I agree]. Instead offence-hunters were looking at a scientist's kinky shirt [In general, I disagree, but perhaps some were]."
Atlantic tech writer Rose Eveleth: "No no women are toooootally welcome in our community, just ask the dude in this shirt." Astrophysicist Katie Mack: "I don't care what scientists wear. But a shirt featuring women in lingerie isn't appropriate for a broadcast if you care about women in science. New York blogger, James DiGioia: Technology advances while society remains decidedly retrograde.
The Telegraph seems rather dismissive of the effect/impact of Taylor's choice of apparel for a public discussion. I don't think some scientists who took offense had actually gone looking for offense. I can expect some women scientists were rightfully offended. I would certainly wonder about a colleague who would wear such attire in a professional setting, and I'm sure management where I work would be apoplectic if someone were to show up at a press conference dressed as Taylor did.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/nov/14/rosetta-comet-dr-matt-taylor-apology-sexist-shirt
Taylor’s gaudy clothing, including images of semi-naked women, sparked a row over his wardrobe and infuriated fellow scientists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jz92wjaz and Ryan_m_b
Thought this was micromass

Likes drizzle and Ryan_m_b
Where I can download the image of his t-shirt? I want to print it and to wear it to support the poor guy.

I need to get one before my trip to the keys but I would never wear something like this to work even in a shipyard if there was any possibility of public exposure on official business. It's hideous. o0)
https://www.alohaland.com/whats-new/new-gunner-girls-sold-out [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
Not much to discuss, ...

Well there's finding out how to get one of those shirts.

Likes Evo
tzimie said:
Where I can download the image of his t-shirt? I want to print it and to wear it to support the poor guy.
http://c4.nrostatic.com/sites/default/files/newgunnergirlstshirt.jpg

Thank you!
yes, I am male chauvinist pig and I am proud of it!

Poor taste? Maybe.
Poor taste/just plain dumb at work? Probably.
Sexist? No way did he think that far ahead.
Cool shirt? If you're a hater, definitely not.
Some people will always find something to complain about, he was the target on this one.
Move on people, nothing to see here.

P.s. Would I spend that much on a shirt? Highly unlikely.

I wouldn't wear a shirt like that, but it does make for some neat tattoo artwork.

Likes jmeps

1. What is online censorship?

Online censorship refers to the practice of restricting or suppressing access to certain information or content on the internet. This can be done by governments, organizations, or individuals for various reasons, such as controlling the flow of information or protecting their own interests.

2. How does online censorship affect freedom of speech?

Online censorship can limit the ability of individuals to freely express themselves and share their ideas and opinions online. This can be particularly problematic in countries where there is limited freedom of speech, as it further restricts the ability of individuals to access and share information.

3. Who is responsible for enforcing online censorship?

The responsibility for enforcing online censorship varies depending on the context. In some cases, it may be the government or a regulatory body. In other cases, it may be private companies, such as social media platforms, that are responsible for censoring content on their platforms.

4. What are the potential consequences of online censorship?

Online censorship can have a number of negative consequences, including limiting access to information, stifling free expression, and promoting a biased or one-sided view of certain issues. It can also create a culture of fear and self-censorship, where individuals are afraid to speak out for fear of being censored.

5. How can individuals and organizations deal with online censorship?

There are a few ways to deal with online censorship. One is to use alternative platforms or tools that are less likely to be censored. Another is to actively advocate for internet freedom and speak out against censorship. Additionally, individuals and organizations can educate themselves and others about the issue and work towards finding solutions to combat online censorship.