How can I graph the current and voltage values for a diode using Ohm's Law?

• Thread starter JakePearson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Ohm
In summary, the question is asking to use Ohm's law to sketch a graph of current I against voltage V for both negative and positive values, given that a diode has a resistance of 0.5kohms for positive current and infinite resistance for negative current. The equation V=IR can be used to plot the graph, with the value of R being 0.5kohms for positive values of V. The values of I and V can be determined using this equation and the graph can be drawn accordingly.
JakePearson
how do i go about answering this question guys, send me in the right direction please :)

"when a diode allows a positive current to flow it has a resistance of 0.5kohms. It does not allow negative flow, i.e. the resistance is infinate. using ohms law, sketch a graph of current I against voltage V for both negative and positive values."

i knw that ohms law states that the potential different is directly proportional to the current flowing throught the system providing the temperature remains constant, how do i find the values for I and V to use for my graph :)

Physics news on Phys.org
JakePearson said:
how do i go about answering this question guys, send me in the right direction please :)

"when a diode allows a positive current to flow it has a resistance of 0.5kohms. It does not allow negative flow, i.e. the resistance is infinate. using ohms law, sketch a graph of current I against voltage V for both negative and positive values."

i knw that ohms law states that the potential different is directly proportional to the current flowing throught the system providing the temperature remains constant, how do i find the values for I and V to use for my graph :)

What is the equation that relates V and I in terms of R? Plot that for the two separate regions, V>0 and V<0.

I don't think that you need them but perhaps I'm misinterpreting the question. We know that if a positive current flows then R = 0.5 k(ohms), regardless of the voltage (if V > 0) or the current. Using what you know about the resistance and ohm's law V = IR you should be able to draw a suitable graph.

What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

How do I find the values for voltage, current, and resistance using Ohm's Law?

To find the values for voltage, current, and resistance using Ohm's Law, you can use the equation V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms. Rearranging the equation, you can also find the values for current (I = V/R) and resistance (R = V/I).

What are the units for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amps (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). These units are named after the scientists who discovered these concepts: Italian physicist Alessandro Volta, French physicist André-Marie Ampère, and German physicist Georg Ohm.

Why is Ohm's Law important in circuit analysis?

Ohm's Law is important in circuit analysis because it allows us to calculate and predict the behavior of electrical circuits. By understanding the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance, we can design and troubleshoot circuits more effectively. Ohm's Law also forms the basis for many other electrical laws and principles.

Can Ohm's Law be applied to all types of circuits?

Ohm's Law can be applied to most electrical circuits, as long as the materials used in the circuit follow Ohm's Law. However, there are some materials, such as semiconductors, that do not follow Ohm's Law and require more complex equations to calculate the values for voltage, current, and resistance. Additionally, Ohm's Law is only applicable to circuits that are in a steady state, meaning that the values for voltage, current, and resistance do not change over time.