Determining the Resistance of an Electric Blanket

In summary, the electric blanket consumes 50 watts of power and is designed to be plugged into a standard powerpoint with a voltage of 240 volts. To find the overall resistance of the blanket, we use the equation R = V/I and substitute in the given values. This results in a resistance of 1152 ohms. While this may seem high compared to other devices, it is a valid calculation based on the given information.
Johny Prime

Homework Statement

A typical electric blanket consumes 50 W of power when operating. What is the overall resistance of the blanket if it is designed to be plugged into a standard powerpoint?
Power = 50 watts
Voltage = 240 v (standard powerpoint)

Homework Equations

I (current) = Voltage/ Resistance
Power = V x I

The Attempt at a Solution

So we are trying to find the overall resistance:
R = V/I
R = 240/I
P/V = I ?
50/240 = I ?
I = 0.2083333 (I don't think that looks right)
So then, R= 240/0.2083333
R= 1152??
Resistance is 1152 ohms?
These answers seem very strange to me and I am uncertain as to whether my logic is sound or not.
If my logic is incorrect, could someone inform me of the logic of the correct way? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct.
Why does it seem strange to you?

Likes Johny Prime
mfb said:
It is correct.
Why does it seem strange to you?
I wasn't sure because all the questions I had done before this had very small resistance (like 6), and I wasn't sure what an actual appliance might have in terms of resistance. Thanks for the confirmation!

1. What is Ohmic Resistance?

Ohmic resistance, also known as electrical resistance, is the measure of how difficult it is for electric current to pass through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol R.

2. How is Ohmic Resistance calculated?

Ohmic resistance is calculated by dividing the voltage (V) by the current (I). This can be represented by the equation R=V/I.

3. What is the relationship between Ohmic Resistance and watts?

Ohmic resistance and watts are related through Ohm's Law, which states that the current (I) in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage (V) and inversely proportional to the resistance (R). This relationship can be represented by the equation P=VI, where P is power in watts.

4. How does Ohmic Resistance affect the flow of electricity?

The higher the Ohmic Resistance, the more difficult it is for electricity to flow through a material. This means that a higher amount of voltage is needed to maintain the same level of current, and therefore, more power is required to overcome the resistance.

5. What are some common materials with high Ohmic Resistance?

Some common materials with high Ohmic Resistance include rubber, plastic, and glass. These materials do not allow electricity to flow easily and are often used as insulators in electrical circuits.