Ohm's Law & Power: Bicycle LED Headlight & 4 AA Batteries

In summary, using Ohm's law, the equivalent resistance of a bicycle LED headlight that requires 5 V and 250 mA to operate can be determined. The power consumption rate can be found using the formula P = VI, but the time is not given. Each battery in the headlight provides 1.25 V and has a specification of 2300 mA-Hour, meaning it would last for 10 hours if supplying 230 mA or 1 hour if supplying 2300 mA. To determine how long it would last if supplying 250 mA, the formula time = 2300 mAH / current can be used.
2slowtogofast
A bicycle LED headlight requires 5 V, 250 mA to operate. Using Ohm’s law, determine the
equivalent resistance of the light. What is the power consumption rate in W? How many
electrons pass through per second? It is powered by four AA rechargeable battery in series. Each battery provides 1.25 V and has a specification of 2300 mA-Hour. How many second would the battery last?

The first part i used R = v/I

The second part I know P = VI but am not sure what to use for time because it does't give one.

The third part i don't know about. I am not looking for the answer but help on how to get there thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
can somebody give me an idea

Isn't 1 watt = one joule per second?

Maybe better: 1 ampere = 6.242*1018 electrons/second

Last edited:
Each battery provides 1.25 V and has a specification of 2300 mA-Hour. How many second would the battery last?

This means each battery would last for an hour if it was supplying 2300 mA. It would last for 10 hours if it was supplying 230 mA.

So product of (current * time) = 2300 mAH
or
time = 2300 mAH / current

So, how long would it last if it was supplying 250 mA?

I would like to clarify that Ohm's Law and Power are fundamental concepts in electrical engineering and physics, and they are essential for understanding the behavior of electric circuits and devices. In the context of the bicycle LED headlight and 4 AA batteries, we can use Ohm's Law to calculate the equivalent resistance of the light and the power consumption rate.

To determine the equivalent resistance of the LED headlight, we can use the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In this case, the voltage required for the headlight is 5 V, and the current is 250 mA (0.25 A). Therefore, the equivalent resistance of the light is 20 ohms.

To calculate the power consumption rate, we can use the formula P = VI, where P is the power, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In this case, the power consumption rate would be 1.25 W (5 V x 0.25 A).

As for the number of electrons passing through per second, we can use the formula I = Q/t, where I is the current, Q is the charge, and t is the time. Since we know the current is 0.25 A, we can rearrange the formula to find Q, which represents the number of electrons passing through per second. Therefore, Q = It = 0.25 A x 1 s = 0.25 C.

Moving on to the batteries, we know that each battery provides 1.25 V and has a capacity of 2300 mA-Hour. To calculate the total voltage provided by the four batteries in series, we can simply add the individual voltages, resulting in 5 V. However, to determine how long the batteries will last, we need to consider the capacity in terms of ampere-hours (Ah). To do this, we can use the formula t = Q/I, where t is the time, Q is the charge, and I is the current. In this case, the current is 250 mA (0.25 A), and the charge is 2300 mA-Hour (2.3 Ah), resulting in a time of 9.2 hours (2.3 Ah / 0.25 A).

In conclusion, using Ohm's Law and the formulas for power and charge, we can calculate the equivalent resistance, power

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. How does Ohm's Law apply to a bicycle LED headlight?

The LED headlight in a bicycle circuit acts as a resistor, which means that the current flowing through it is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the LED.

3. How do 4 AA batteries affect the power of a bicycle LED headlight?

The power of a bicycle LED headlight is affected by the number of batteries connected in series. Four AA batteries connected in series increase the voltage and therefore increase the power of the LED headlight.

4. How can I calculate the power of a bicycle LED headlight using Ohm's Law?

The power of a bicycle LED headlight can be calculated by using the formula P=IV, where P is power in watts, I is current in amps, and V is voltage in volts. You can use Ohm's Law to find the current and voltage values and then plug them into the formula to calculate the power.

5. Can Ohm's Law be used to determine the resistance of a bicycle LED headlight?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to determine the resistance of a bicycle LED headlight. The resistance can be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current (R=V/I). However, the resistance of an LED is not constant and can change with temperature and other factors, so this calculation may not always be accurate.