What is the voltage of the car in Ohm's Law Application Problem 1?

In summary, the problem involves a car located 5 km away from a station, connected to a 100 mm hard drawn copper trolley wire with a resistance of 0.270 ohm per km and a rail and ground return with a resistance of 0.06 ohm per km. The station has a voltage of 750 V. To find the voltage of the car, we need to compute the total resistance of the wire and rail, and then use this to calculate the voltage drop in the wire and rail. It is important to consider whether the wire and rail are in series or parallel with the car in order to accurately calculate the voltage at the car.
iwan2learn
1. A car, 5 km distance from a station, take 100 A over a 100 mm hard drawn copper trolley wire having a resistance of 0.270 ohm per km. The rail and ground return has a resistance of 0.06 ohm per km. If the station voltage is 750 V, what is the voltage of the car?

Homework Equations

I think this are the relevant equations..
I assume that they are connected in series..
so Icar=Irail
Vt=V[t]station
i don't know what to do with 0.0270 and 0.06 ohms per km..

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving for Vcar by Vcar=I[car]*R[car]
where in Icar=100 A and Rcar is 0.0270 ohm/km(1km/1x10^6mm)(100mm)

Vcar=2.7x10^-4.. which is obviously wrong because V[station]=750V and its impossible that the car only takes 2.7x10^-4 V.. Pls help me thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given all the information you need to compute the total resistance of the wire and the rail. Once you have the resistance it is easy to compute the voltage drop of the wire and rail. You can then find the voltage at the car.

Are the wire and rail in series or in parallel with the car?? What must I do with the voltage of the station??

Last edited:

1. What is Ohm's Law and how is it used?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in electricity that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This law is used to calculate any one of the three variables given the other two.

2. What is an Ohm's Law application problem?

An Ohm's Law application problem is a type of problem that involves using Ohm's Law to solve for voltage, current, or resistance in a given circuit. These problems typically provide values for two of the variables and ask for the third to be calculated using Ohm's Law.

3. How do I solve an Ohm's Law application problem?

To solve an Ohm's Law application problem, you will need to use the formula V=IR (voltage = current x resistance). First, identify the two given variables (voltage, current, or resistance) and plug them into the formula. Then, solve for the missing variable by rearranging the formula. Be sure to use the correct units for each variable.

4. What are the units for voltage, current, and resistance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). In some cases, you may also see kilovolts (kV), milliamperes (mA), or kilohms (kΩ) used as units for these variables.

5. Can Ohm's Law be applied to all circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be applied to all circuits, as long as they are made up of only resistive elements. This means that there are no capacitors, inductors, or other non-resistive components in the circuit. Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in electricity and is widely used in many practical applications.