1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ohm's Law/Circuits

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

v=IR

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought i would try to simplify the circuit by combining some resistors. The problem is i can't find out what is in series and what is in parallel. If the current goes through the 12 resistor, does it have to go through the 6, or can it go through the 25? I'm not even sure if that's how you do the problem. Can anyone please tell me if I'm right so far and answer the question with the 12 ohm resistance?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2
    There are no series or parallel resistances. You'll have to use kirchhoff's laws to get
    a bunch of simultaneous equations for the currents through all the resistors and
    solve them.

4. Dec 23, 2011 #3
    What do you mean there is no series or parallel resistances? I posted them in the thread and the picture.
    And what happen to my pic? Do I have to repost it? Am I not allowed to post pics yet? Please tell me what I should do to post a pic, because without the pic, people wont understand what I am asking.

Known Circuit Values:

Total Volts: 10
    Resistor 1 Is In Series: 1K
    Resistor 2 Is In Parallel With R3 - Value: 4K
    Resistor 3 Is In Parallel With R2 - Value: 4K

Questions:

1. What Is The Total Current Equal to In Amps?

2. What Is The Voltage Across R1?

3. What Is The Current Through R3 In Amps?

4. What Is The Current Through R2 In Amps? (I First Listed It As R1 In The Pic, But It Should Be R2).

5. What Is The Current Value Through R1 In Watts?

6. What Is The Total Power Consumed In Watts?

7. What Is The Power Consumed By R3 In Watts

5. Dec 23, 2011 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

@ChainedBoxer

Are you in the thread you think you are? This thread was begun in 2008! Your post here seems to be the same as the the one you posted in your other thread, and where I am waiting to see your working.

6. Dec 23, 2011 #5

I think I'm posting in the right thread. I have posted this question on another site, so I can find help. Which site are you talking about?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?