Learning Ohm's Law, KVL & KCL for Biomedical Engineering

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has taken up a course in biomedical engineering but has no background in engineering and is struggling to understand the course material. They are specifically asking for help with the basics such as transducers, Ohm's law, KVL, KCL, voltage divider rule, and amplifiers. They are also looking for any good websites or resources to help them better understand the material.
AdePCY
Hi,

I just took up a course on biomedical engineering.
And i have no background knowledge on engineering, having difficulty in following up in class.

Can anyone teach me the basic?

i was studying on transducer (sensor/actuator), focusing more on sensor.
Ohm's law, KVL, KCL, voltage divider rule.
Amplifier (differential, inverting, non inverting, instrumentation)
Ac, DC
strain guage, LVDT, capacitive displacement transducer, thermal transducer.

Can anyone give me some brief introduction?
or any good website for reference? for idiots?
:/

really having difficulty in understanding. I read the textbook "medical instrumentation" but just couldn't understand. :/

REgards,
adepcy

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you'll have better luck posting this question in Classical physics sub forum here. They are the one that sit around talking theory, here we want result!

To the OP, what you listed in terms of topics is enough to fill an into EE Circuits Analysis course. I always recommend Google. In general terms, Ohm's Law, KVL/KCL are circuit analysis techniques to determine circuit parameters. Op Amps can occupy an entire book. In general, perhaps related to biomedical engineering, they possesses the capability to amplify the relatively small [uV, mV] signals from transducers. Ohm's Law, KVL/KCL are helpful in determining a particular Op-Amp's terminal behavior. Again, Google is your friend. Or pick up a cheap [older copy] of a circuit analysis book. The benefit will be to obtain a few sample problems to better realize the application of the circuit analysis techniques.

1. What is Ohm's Law and how does it relate to Biomedical Engineering?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in physics and electrical engineering that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It is particularly important in Biomedical Engineering because it helps us understand and analyze the flow of electricity in medical devices and systems.

2. What is KVL and why is it important in Biomedical Engineering?

KVL, or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, is another fundamental principle in electrical engineering. It states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. In Biomedical Engineering, we use KVL to analyze and design circuits for medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators.

3. How does KCL help us analyze circuits in Biomedical Engineering?

KCL, or Kirchhoff's Current Law, is another important principle in electrical engineering that states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. In Biomedical Engineering, we use KCL to analyze and design circuits for medical devices, such as EEG and ECG machines.

4. Can you provide an example of how to apply Ohm's Law, KVL, and KCL in Biomedical Engineering?

Sure, let's say we have a circuit that consists of a battery, resistor, and LED. We can use Ohm's Law to calculate the voltage across the resistor by multiplying the current through the circuit by the resistance of the resistor. Then, we can use KVL to calculate the voltage across the LED by subtracting the voltage across the resistor from the battery's voltage. Finally, we can use KCL to confirm that the current entering and exiting the node where the resistor and LED are connected is equal.

5. How can I best remember and apply Ohm's Law, KVL, and KCL in my studies and career in Biomedical Engineering?

Practice, practice, practice! The more you work with these principles in different circuits, the more comfortable and familiar you will become with them. Additionally, understanding the underlying concepts and relationships between voltage, current, and resistance will help you remember and apply Ohm's Law, KVL, and KCL in your studies and career in Biomedical Engineering.