Calculating Energy Delivered to a Battery using Ohm's Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Ohm's Law to calculate the energy delivered to a dead battery by a battery charger. The charger delivers a current of 7.5 A for 3.5 hours, maintaining the battery's voltage at 12 V. However, the calculated energy output (151,200 joules) is incorrect and the individual is seeking assistance in identifying the error.
tigerguy
A battery charger is connected to a dead battery and delivers a current of 7.5 A for 3.5 hours, keeping the voltage across the battery terminals at 12 V in the process. How much energy is delivered to the battery?

I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I understand that we have to use Ohm's Law in this question. So doing that, I took the given current, and converted it into the total number of coloumbs used over the 3.5 hours. I then calculated the resistance, and then I multiplied the total coloumbs by the resistance, and got joules (151,200). That's wrong, so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
tigerguy said:
A battery charger is connected to a dead battery and delivers a current of 7.5 A for 3.5 hours, keeping the voltage across the battery terminals at 12 V in the process. How much energy is delivered to the battery?

I'm not exactly sure what I am doing wrong. I understand that we have to use Ohm's Law in this question. So doing that, I took the given current, and converted it into the total number of coloumbs used over the 3.5 hours. I then calculated the resistance, and then I multiplied the total coloumbs by the resistance, and got joules (151,200). That's wrong, so I'm not sure where I went wrong.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

use [tex] E = P \cdot t = U \cdot I \cdot t[/tex] with t in seconds.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with this question. It seems like you have a good understanding of Ohm's Law and how to calculate the energy delivered to a battery. However, there are a few things to consider in this specific scenario.

First, it is important to note that the voltage across the battery terminals will not remain constant at 12 V throughout the entire charging process. As the battery charges, the voltage will increase, and the current will decrease. This means that the resistance will also change over time.

Secondly, when using Ohm's Law to calculate the energy delivered to a battery, you need to use the voltage and current at the specific moment in time that you are interested in, not the average values over the entire charging period. So in this case, you would need to use the voltage and current at the end of the 3.5 hours to calculate the energy delivered.

Lastly, make sure you are using the correct units in your calculations. The unit for resistance is ohms, and the unit for current is amperes, or amps. Make sure you are converting your units correctly to get the final answer in joules.

I hope this helps clarify where you may have gone wrong in your calculations. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

What is Ohm's Law and how is it used to calculate energy delivered to a battery?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the voltage, current, and resistance of an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This law can be used to calculate the energy delivered to a battery by multiplying the voltage and current of the circuit, which gives the power, and then multiplying the power by the time the battery is being used.

What are the components needed to calculate energy delivered to a battery using Ohm's Law?

To calculate the energy delivered to a battery using Ohm's Law, you will need to know the voltage, current, and resistance of the circuit. The voltage can be measured with a voltmeter, the current can be measured with an ammeter, and the resistance can be calculated using the known properties of the circuit components.

Can Ohm's Law be used for any type of battery?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the energy delivered to any type of battery, as long as the voltage, current, and resistance values are known. However, it is important to note that different types of batteries may have different maximum and minimum voltage and current values, so it is important to use the appropriate values for the specific battery being analyzed.

How is the energy delivered to a battery affected by changes in the circuit's resistance?

The energy delivered to a battery is directly affected by changes in the circuit's resistance. According to Ohm's Law, as the resistance increases, the current decreases, which in turn decreases the amount of energy being delivered to the battery. On the other hand, if the resistance decreases, the current increases, resulting in a higher amount of energy being delivered to the battery.

Can Ohm's Law be used to calculate the total energy stored in a battery?

No, Ohm's Law is used to calculate the energy delivered to a battery while it is being used. To calculate the total energy stored in a battery, one would need to consider factors such as the battery's capacity and discharge rate. Ohm's Law only applies to the energy being delivered to the battery at a specific moment in time.