Understanding Resistance in Ohm's Law: Graph Analysis & Explanation

In summary, the graph shows the relationship between current and voltage for a resistor. The resistor initially follows Ohm's law, with a constant resistance. However, at high currents, the resistance suddenly increases exponentially due to the temperature dependence of resistance. This can be seen as a curve on the graph. The curve may also be caused by a component network, such as a light bulb or a resistor with a powerful stream of air. This exponential behavior is common in non-ohmic resistors.
ninjadrummer8

Homework Statement

q7.jpg

Graph of current vs voltage. What is happening to the resistance after the linear portion of the graph and why.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

the line is the resistance and it follows ohms law for a while (it is constant and independent of V and I), but then suddenly jumps up exponentially at a high value of I... I can't figure out what could cause this. it doesn't say whether this resistor is ohmic or not, but graphs of nonohmic resistors I've seen are exponential all the time not just at high current

Physics news on Phys.org
you must know that resistance is temperature dependent. notice the linear relationship between current and electric potential until the the curve. At the point of the curve, resistance is no longer a constant. thus, you see the curve.

The curve appears is too crude to obtain information. Is it supposed to look linear toward the bottom?

yes, its linear, then suddenly grows exponentially

What happens to a resistor as the current through it increases without bound?

ninjadrummer8 said:
yes, its linear, then suddenly grows exponentially

What if it is almost linear, but not exactly so?

What circuit elements have you learned of? Can you think of any simple component network that would produce a curve like that given the circuit elements you have learned?

Phrak said:
What if it is almost linear, but not exactly so?

What circuit elements have you learned of? Can you think of any simple component network that would produce a curve like that given the circuit elements you have learned?

It's probably accurate to consider it linear up until the time it becomes exponential (of course no real part is truly linear but this is coursework, the land of ideals!); it seems a safe assumption that that was specified in the problem. And yes, there really is a real-world fundamental circuit element which will behave like that, if pushed.

You are sitting in a dark room and you walk over to the switch on the wall and you turn on the ? and then you can see OK. What is the ?...?

negitron said:
It's probably accurate to consider it linear up until the time it becomes exponential (of course no real part is truly linear but this is coursework, the land of ideals!); it seems a safe assumption that that was specified in the problem. And yes, there really is a real-world fundamental circuit element which will behave like that, if pushed.

I think it's too crude.

vk6kro thinks it's a light bulb. Could be.

Exponentials look very flat at the bottom.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Exponential.png"

Ambiguous homework questions are common enough. Is that your own rendition of the curve, or are you reposting it?

Last edited by a moderator:
If we took the graph as being absolutely correct, there is another possibility.

If you had a resistor (like the heating element in a fan heater) which had a powerful stream of air being forced past it, you would get it behaving exactly like a resistor (and hence the straight line graph) while the stream of air was able to carry away any heat generated.

There would come a point, though, when the temperature did start to rise and the resistance of the resistor would start to increase. After that, you could get the non linear behaviour shown on the right of the graph.

Last edited:

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

2. How is Ohm's Law used in real-world applications?

Ohm's Law is used in various electrical and electronic devices, such as household appliances, computers, and power grids. It is also essential in designing and troubleshooting electrical circuits and determining the appropriate size of wires and components for a particular application.

3. What is the formula for Ohm's Law?

The formula for Ohm's Law is V = IR, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula can also be rearranged to find any of the three variables, such as I = V/R for current and R = V/I for resistance.

4. What is the unit of measurement for each variable in Ohm's Law?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), current is measured in amperes (A), and resistance is measured in ohms (Ω). In some cases, kilovolts (kV), milliamperes (mA), or kiloohms (kΩ) may also be used as units of measurement.

5. What are some limitations of Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law assumes that the temperature and other environmental factors in the circuit remain constant. It also only applies to linear circuits with constant resistance. In non-linear circuits, such as circuits with diodes or transistors, Ohm's Law cannot be directly applied.