1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ohm's law revisited

1. Dec 15, 2007 #1
    Ohm's law states that, in an electrical circuit, the current passing through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the potential difference (i.e. voltage drop or voltage) across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them. The mathematical equation that describes this relationship is:

I = V/R
    I realize this may be a basic question in electronics however I am looking at it in a new perspective, that of proportions.

Can someone please aide me in comprehending what is defined as (proportional) in this Law.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The law was formulated as V across two points is directly proportional to the current I. The constant of proportionality was called the resistance R.

4. Dec 15, 2007 #3
    "Direct proportion" means that as one variable increases, the other increases (more voltage = more current).

"Indirect proportion" means that as one variable increases, the other decreases (more resistance = less current).

5. Dec 15, 2007 #4
    Thanks Noein your anwser explains what I wanted to know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?