1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ohm's Law Yay

1. Mar 31, 2008 #1
    Ohm's Law Yay!!! :(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. How does the resistance of most objects vary with voltage?

2. Relevant equations
    V=RI I=V/R

3. The attempt at a solution

They are independent of each other (resistance is a constant).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your last two sentences are contradictory. If they are independent of each other, then they don't mutually increase. Which do you believe?

4. Mar 31, 2008 #3
    I changed it to read

They are independent of each other (resistance is a constant).

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    I'm not sure if I understand you... Are you saying that the voltage drop of a series resistor increases as the source voltage increases? If so, you are correct.

Robble Robble

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you are correct. For most substances, over some range of voltage, the resistance is approximately independent of voltage. Hence, 'Ohms law'. There are exceptions.

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6
    This is more or less a mathematical model. Resistance is 'constant' in most of the real world applications where we use Carbon resistors and such.

The formula:

[tex]
    R = \frac{V}{I}
    [/tex]

means that 'R' is proportional to 'V' given that 'I' is constant. But, in real world practices, 'I' varies constantly with 'V'. Mathematically what this means is that, if 'V' is increased.. then to keep 'I' constant, 'R' must be increased proportionally to 'V'.

Some increases are phenomenal. Like the increase of current when voltage is increased under constant current. It happens all by itself with indirect intervention from you [you increased the voltage]. Other changes require the direct intervention of the observer. Mathematics doesn't take into account who or what causes the change. Proportionality is a study of relation of changes, no matter what causes it.

Take the case when you have a rheostat in your circuit. You need to change the 'R' here everytime 'V' is changed to ensure that 'I' is constant. And when you do this for various values for 'V' and 'R' such that 'I' is kept constant for each step of the way.. you'll see that 'V' is proportional to 'R'.

Hope that helps.

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?