Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oi! silver nitrate on my hand!

1. Apr 24, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Bah! damn this stuff!

Anyone know how to get silver nitrate off your hands? I was thinking of finding a photography store and see if they have any chemicals since i know its something photo...people...whatever... use :). Any suggestions? help? cut off flipper?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2006 #2
    Lick it off, OR, wipe it off in ur crotch. (make sure it burns first though)

Thread Locked.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
  4. Apr 24, 2006 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

The second i closed the window, i thought to myself "that loser cyrusabdollahi probably has made a joke in my thread already". I come back and who woulda thunk it!

Ban cyrusabdollahi! that shall be my campaign slogan!

5. Apr 24, 2006 #4
    Some people use silver nitrate to remove warts O_O

A quick google search says to wash your hands with table salt.

6. Apr 24, 2006 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah that ain't gonna do anything. Our lab manual says it'll takes weeks or months for the skin to replace it and that theres no bleach or amount of scrubbing that can get it off.

7. Apr 24, 2006 #6
    Joke? I'm not joking. Lick it off, you woman. Isn't there a policy against letting people like you into labs?

8. Apr 24, 2006 #7
    Cut off flipper.

9. Apr 24, 2006 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

you're all out of my will

10. Apr 24, 2006 #9
    You are going to die soon? Finally...........I thought this day would never come. You can keep your rancid bookshelves to yourself.

11. Apr 24, 2006 #10

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

MSDS - Silver Nitrate - Poisonous. Causes burns. Long-term exposure can cause permanent blue-grey staining of eyes, mouth, throat and skin, (argyria) and may cause eye damage. Short contact can lead to deposition of black silver stains on the skin. Very destructive of mucous membranes. Skin and eye irritant. Experimental equivocal tumorigenic agent. :rolleyes: ( from physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/SI/silver_nitrate.html )

But from the EPA - Silver nitrate is a non-food-use active ingredient that is not toxic to humans. Applicators are instructed to use gloves to protect against contact with the skin because silver nitrate can discolor skin. http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_072503.htm

Try salt water as moose suggested.

Or you could use sulfuric acid or NaOH, but only if you wish to remove your skin.

Don't worry about the discoloration - it only lasts about a week or so. In my experience, it is a brown discoloration of the skin.

12. Apr 24, 2006 #11
    you two are so cute with your bickering all the time. pengwuino, i bet if you ask nice, cyrus will lick it off for you.

13. Apr 24, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

a salt water solution kinda helped i think. We were using 0.1M silver nitrate and my thumb looks like it's been up something bad. I can't live with this stain!

14. Apr 24, 2006 #13

Astronuc

I was thinking that the camaraderie and mutual admiration expressed by pengwuino and cyrus is so touching and a real credit to PF. They are an inspiration to us all! :biggrin:

15. Apr 24, 2006 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

MSDS sheets usually make things sound worse than they are. You should read the MSDS for ordinary table salt. :rolleyes:

Silver nitrate is what they used to put in newborn's eyes to prevent infections. It is irritating, but obviously not horrendously so.

I think every student of chemistry has had a run-in with silver nitrate at some point. It only takes one messy person in the class to get the outside of the bottle coated with it for everyone else who picks it up. The light stains only lasted about a week. I recall it took a fair bit longer for the student in my high school chemistry class who spilled it all over his hands. But, that was back in the 80s when Michael Jackson and wearing one glove were popular, so that's what we suggested that student do. :rofl: I don't think you could get away with that anymore.

16. Apr 24, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Makes you wonder when they're finally going to tie the knot, eh? :biggrin:

17. Apr 24, 2006 #16
    You really don't want those crab cakes do you??:mad:

18. Apr 24, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't need them anymore...a friend of mine is going to send me a recipe so I can make my own! :approve: You better go back to the chocolate bribes. :biggrin:

19. Apr 24, 2006 #18

Evo

Cyrus! Send me Moonbear's crabcakes!!!!

Of course, as Doc Toxyn :!!) knows, I can't resist Alaskan King Crab Legs. That is without question, the one food I will do ANYTHING for. And he had them served to me by Adrian Paul. :!!) :!!) :!!)

I love you Doc Toxyn!!!!!

20. Apr 24, 2006 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could try sucking on your thumb. It won't make the stain go away any faster, but it'll hide it. :biggrin:

21. Apr 24, 2006 #20

Mk

Hmm, the last time I worked with silver nitrate I didn't know it would have any ill affects on you. I guess it does, and I guess I didn't touch it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?