Optimizing Heat Transfer: Oil Bath Heat Exchanger for Water Bath Heating

In summary, you would need to decrease the oil bath's temperature by 3 degrees to increase the water bath's temperature by one degree.
curio
I have an oil bath that has a jacketed heat exchanger I wish to use to heat another water bath.

The temperature of the oil bath is 100 C and the water bath temperature I require is 54 C. My question is will this be either too much heat or not enough.

My basic design is to use a thermistor to monitor water bath temp and adjust the pump speed (12V) accordingly. I think I have the circuit downpat but want some help with the theoretical heat capacity calculations.

Without wanting to go and renivent the wheel I was hoping someone could run through some quick back of napkin calculations with me.

Cheers.

Science news on Phys.org
Details like these can help you a lot.
What oil is it? (heat capacity varies a little between oil types)
How much oil and water is there? As water has a very high heat capacity, there is a lot of oil needed to heat a bit of water. Also what is the surface of the heat exchanger?
What is the oil's heat source? Assuming it has one that keeps it at 100 'C.

The heat exchange surface area is 0.00054 square meters submersed in a silicon oil bath which holds 0.00016 cubic meters, the water bath size is 0.000036 cubic meters, 0.225 times the size of the oil bath which has a thermostat controlled heating element holding it at 100 C.

I'm just looking for rough calculations here, no second order differentials or partial derivatives lol.

Silicone oil has a spec heat cap. of 1370 (J/Kg*C) while water has 4187. 3 times less so the oil has to cool down 3 deg for water to heat 1deg. (Completely ignoring oil density 0.92 kg/l). You have 4 times more silicone then water, it sounds ok (or more then needed).

So if you heat the silicone to 100'C and then transfer the heat to the water it will be enough to heat the water to the desired temp without the need to reheat the silicone. For long time use that will be necessary. Use the thermocouple ( thermistor ) on the water bath and if you can you can set the oil bath to less temp for economic and safety purposes. 80'C sounds good.

The time it takes is a "second order differentials or partial derivatives" thing. So just do it. :P

Thanks Lok.

The volume fo the oil bath is 0.000028 cubic meters not 0.00016, i forgot to divide the diameter of the oil bath by 2 :0 So its roughly the same size as the water bath.

The bath needs to stay at 100 C as it used to measure oil viscosities. It is safely plumbed, there should be no issues with this.

Being that the volumes of the oil and water bath are approx equal, will this overtly effect the temp of the oil bath seeing that a three degree reduction in oil temp is required to increase the water temp by one degree. If I'm heating water from 24 to 54 C are you saying the oil will need to decrease by 90 C?

My plan was to set up a PWM routine in a PIC, add a pot to one of the a2d pins and use this to vary the PWM whilst monitoring the temp of the water bath with a thermometer and thermistor/op-amp (adding a resistir to the thermistor to improve linearity) with a DMM.

Any further thoughts?

1. How does an oil bath heat exchanger work?

An oil bath heat exchanger works by using thermal energy from heated oil to transfer heat to a surrounding water bath. The oil is heated through a separate heating source and then circulated through a network of tubes within the water bath. As the hot oil passes through the tubes, it transfers its heat to the water, thus heating the water bath.

2. What factors affect the efficiency of an oil bath heat exchanger?

The efficiency of an oil bath heat exchanger can be affected by several factors, such as the temperature difference between the heated oil and the water bath, the flow rate of the oil, the surface area of the heat transfer tubes, and the type and viscosity of the oil used. Additionally, proper maintenance and cleaning of the heat exchanger can also impact its efficiency.

3. How can I optimize the heat transfer in an oil bath heat exchanger?

To optimize the heat transfer in an oil bath heat exchanger, you can adjust the temperature and flow rate of the oil, increase the surface area of the heat transfer tubes, and ensure that the oil is clean and free of any impurities. It is also important to make sure that the heat exchanger is properly insulated to minimize heat loss.

4. What are the advantages of using an oil bath heat exchanger for water bath heating?

One of the main advantages of an oil bath heat exchanger is its ability to handle higher temperatures compared to other heat transfer fluids. This makes it suitable for applications that require high temperature heating, such as in industrial processes. Additionally, the use of oil allows for more precise temperature control and can result in faster heating times.

5. What are some common issues that may arise with an oil bath heat exchanger?

Some common issues that may arise with an oil bath heat exchanger include clogging or fouling of the tubes, which can decrease efficiency, and leaks in the system. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain the heat exchanger to prevent these issues. Additionally, proper selection and handling of the oil used can also help prevent potential problems.