US Admin's Immunity for Oil Companies: Astounding & True

• News
  • Thread starter Laser Eyes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil
In summary, the US administration's actions continue to amaze the speaker, but unfortunately this is not surprising given the current state of affairs. The executive order discussed in the article will have significant implications, as corporations already have widespread immunity from taxes and other matters. The article may have been biased, but the order itself seems to provide corporations with immunity from prosecution. Without a legal background, it is difficult to fully understand the implications, but the order appears to grant corporations immunity in certain situations. The source and executive order can be found for those interested in reading it themselves.
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, this is pretty par for the course, isn't it? Corporations get immunity from nearly everything these days, including taxes, so why should this be a surprise?

That article was pretty heavily biased. In some cases the quotes were chopped up to remove qualifying statements in order to make them sound more absolute.

However, not being a lawyer, its not an easy order to interpret. I'd like to hear an opinion from a real judge on what the implications are, rather than a lawer connected to a tabloid.

If this is for real, it is outrageous.

For those wishing to read executive order 13303 for themselves;

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/14mar20010800/edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/pdf/03-13412.pdf

The source;
http://www.archives.gov/federal_register/executive_orders/2003.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to think my reading comprehension is pretty good, but I don't speak lawyerese. If anyone has any insight, I'd be more than willing to hear it.

It's declared as a "National Emergency", and from what little I can tell, it basically does what that lawyer in that article says it does, immunity from prosecution.

1. What is the US Admin's immunity for oil companies?

The US Admin's immunity for oil companies refers to a recent executive order signed by the US President that grants immunity from prosecution to oil companies for any actions that may harm the environment or contribute to climate change. This means that these companies will not face legal consequences for their role in contributing to these issues.

2. How is this executive order justified?

The executive order is justified by the US Admin as a way to protect the economy and ensure energy independence. They argue that holding oil companies accountable for their actions could lead to job losses and harm the country's overall energy production.

3. What impact will this executive order have on the environment?

The executive order is expected to have a negative impact on the environment, as it essentially removes any incentive for oil companies to reduce their carbon emissions or invest in more sustainable practices. This could lead to an increase in greenhouse gas emissions and further contribute to climate change.

4. Can this executive order be reversed?

The executive order can be reversed by a future presidential administration, but it would require a new executive order or legislation to do so. However, this could be a lengthy and difficult process depending on the political climate at the time.

5. What are some potential consequences of this executive order?

Some potential consequences of this executive order could include worsening of climate change and environmental degradation, decreased motivation for oil companies to invest in renewable energy sources, and a lack of accountability for harmful actions by these companies. It could also lead to increased public distrust in the government's commitment to addressing climate change and protecting the environment.