Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Oil companies immunity

1. Aug 5, 2003 #1
    The things that this US administration does continue to astound me. Sad but unfortunately true to form.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/03/1059849273357.html

This executive order will have far-reaching consequences.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2003 #2
    Unfortunately, this is pretty par for the course, isn't it? Corporations get immunity from nearly everything these days, including taxes, so why should this be a surprise?

4. Aug 6, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That article was pretty heavily biased. In some cases the quotes were chopped up to remove qualifying statments in order to make them sound more absolute.

However, not being a lawyer, its not an easy order to interpret. I'd like to hear an opinion from a real judge on what the implications are, rather than a lawer connected to a tabloid.

5. Aug 6, 2003 #4
    If this is for real, it is outrageous.

6. Aug 6, 2003 #5
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Aug 7, 2003 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I tend to think my reading comprehension is pretty good, but I don't speak lawyerese. If anyone has any insight, I'd be more than willing to hear it.

8. Aug 7, 2003 #7
    It's declared as a "National Emergency", and from what little I can tell, it basically does what that lawyer in that article says it does, immunity from prosecution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook