1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oil drop experiment

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The values for the charges on oil drops are 3,99 6,65 2,66 10,64 3,99 and 9,31
    all these multiplied with x10-19C.
    What is the largest value of the fundamental unit of charge that is consistent with the measured charges?

2. Relevant equations
    Fundamental unit of charge is e=1,60x10-19C

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question confuses me a little bit. Taking mean average is useless because the highest value is asked. I don't find also any reason to calculate ratios between the measured values althought 6,65/3,99=1,6666...
    Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi cake_is_a_lie! :smile:
    well, they're (approximately) 12/3, 20/3, 8/3, 32/3, and 28/3 … :wink:

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    Thank you for answering.
    But I don't really understand the point. Actually this time the explanation and deduction is more useful than the actual answer.

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

well, what's the largest unit consistent with 12/3, 20/3, 8/3, 32/3, and 28/3, being multiples of that unit? :smile:

6. May 1, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

nooo :redface: … each value has to be a multiple of the unit

how can 20/3 be a multiple of 3?

you need to find the highest common factor (the highest number which goes into each value a whole number of times) :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook