Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oil from the National Wildlife Refuge

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    The oil industry has tried for more than 20 years to get access to what is believed to be billions of barrels of oil beneath the 1.5 million-acre coastal plain of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in north-eastern Alaska. Now it seems they have won.
    Environmentalists have fought such development and argued that despite improved environmental controls a web of pipelines and drilling platforms would harm calving caribou, polar bears and millions of migratory birds that use the coastal plain.The 19-million-acre refuge was set aside for protection by President Eisenhower in 1960.
    {AP}
    What do you think about this? It seems we won't actually see any of this oil turned into gas for another 10 years, leases,processing ect. I personally wish they wouldn't, theres a reason its called a refuge.
    Migratory animals already have a hard time getting around excisting pipelines, and oil leeks/spills in this area would be devastating.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Christian Science Monitor blooper:
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0317/p02s01-uspo.html

--
    HIDDEN TREASURE: Alaska's pristine Arctic National Wildlife Refuge has an estimated 10 billion gallons of oil beneath its surface.
    --

Gallons should be barrels.

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I think if alaskans themselves are for the drilling while hippies in california and new york are against it... ill side for the drilling :)

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    • Not everyone in Alaska is in favor of it.
    • Tribal leaders are often at odds with their their tribal members over issues like this.
    • Neither individual states nor their citizens have special claim to national resources and treasures. ANWR is a United States federal wilderness area, not an Alaskan state wilderness area.

The reason why tribal councils are always approached with backroom lobbying and deals by mineral exploitation companies is they know people will see the soundbites and say to themselves, "I think if the indigenous peoples themselves are for it while hippies in california and new york are against it... ill side for it." It works every time.

6. Mar 17, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well they say it for a reason :)

7. Mar 17, 2005 #6
    Political corruption?

8. Mar 17, 2005 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You fear what you dont understand my friend

9. Mar 17, 2005 #8
    I have family and friends in Alaska, who don't want this to happen. And I, a non-hippy type from neither coast would like to see this fantastic habitat saved for the purpose it was intended.

10. Mar 17, 2005 #9
    Hi,

I have heard that there is more oil off of the California and Florida coasts than there is in Alaska. Why not drill there first.

juju

11. Mar 18, 2005 #10
    Because the oil platforms would be in sight, and no one wants to spoil there own backyard. These states are paying big bucks to ensure there views are kept nice...and the Gov. of Floridia is the Pres. brother ..that helps eh?

12. Mar 18, 2005 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Actually if you want a even funnier political laugh; they had proposed building a wind-turbine island off of the santa barbera coast. A bunch of hollywood actors/actresses/directors, etc objected though and were able to defeat the island from being built because they said it would spoil their view. And all of these objectors were in fact, highly visible liberals :) Its great to demand a greener environment 'for our children and their children' as long as its not on your $25 million view off the coast

13. Mar 18, 2005 #12
    Hi,

There's also a wind turbine project being proposed on the east coast that is opposed by the Kennedy's and others for similar reasons. This is stupid.

juju

14. Mar 18, 2005 #13
    Not sure if it is true or not, but I have heard that the turbines on the east coast would be far enough out in the ocean that only the very tops would be visible. Anyone else know anything about this?

15. Mar 19, 2005 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I doubt that... who would want to run transmission lines miles out when you can do it a few hundred yards off the coast. But who knows, maybe those hollywood hypocrits never even looked at the plans.... or they cant even stand a lil tip... in any case, there not coming up!

16. Mar 19, 2005 #15
  17. Mar 19, 2005 #16
    Looks like its a going to be great for the east coast. I love wind power!

18. Mar 19, 2005 #17
    If that oil were truly a national treasure, then it should be nationalized. Period. No oil company should profit, the government should drill the oil, and refine it, and sell it at bust OPEC's family jewels prices. Really what belongs to America, should not be leased to Americans, to sell to americans, and especially to the government for jet fuel and so forth, at inflated prices as they do. The practice of fiscal quarter jet fuel dumping needs to stop too, while I am ranting.

19. Mar 20, 2005 #18
    The ANWR, Dayle, not the oil.

20. Apr 2, 2005 #19
    By the time drilling starts, there will be no oil industry. hopefully that is soon, because oil is going up! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: i don't care if its hydrogen or solar or electric, just do it!

Fibonacci

21. Jun 1, 2005 #20
    who gets to benefit?

>>>It seems we won't actually see any of this oil<<<

I hear, the Alaskan oil is sold to Japan :surprised

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?