1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oil manometer

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A manometer using oil (density 0.91 g/cm3) as a fluid is connected to an air tank. Suddenly the pressure in the tank increases by 0.72 cm of Hg. (a) By how much does the fluid level rise in the side of the manometer that is open to the atmosphere? (b) What would your answer be if the manometer used mercury instead?

2. Relevant equations

P = rho*gravity*height

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have looked at several options of solving this problem. None of them make any sense to me. Please help. Thankyou!!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The question is asking how high does a column of oil have to be to weigh the same as a 0.72cm column of mercury

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    ok.
    so i set the to two pressures equal to each other
    so i got P(oil)=P(mercury)
    (.91)(980)h = (980)(.72)(13.6)
    solved for h, and provided my answer in cm but its not right :\

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If i'm reaing the question in the same way as you that should be correct (you can ignore 'g' it cancels)
    The oil is roughly 15x less dense than mercury - so you should have an answer around 10cm (roughly)

6. Nov 16, 2009 #5
    yea i got 10.76. Its not right...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook