Oil spill area coming back to life

In summary, despite initial fears, the marsh and wetlands along the Louisiana coast are showing signs of healing themselves after the massive Gulf oil spill. Scientists are cautiously optimistic about the recovery of the ecosystem and its impact on the fishing and tourism industries. The media may have exaggerated the severity of the disaster, but the use of dispersants and warmer water temperatures may have contributed to a less disastrous outcome. However, it is important to continue monitoring and testing the safety of seafood from the affected area.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This is great news! Mother nature has a remarkable ability to spring back. This is very happy news for the fishing and tourism industry in Louisiana.

BARATARIA BAY, Louisiana (AP) – Shoots of marsh grass and bushes of mangrove trees already are starting to grow back in the bay where just months ago photographers shot startling images of dying pelicans coated in oil from the massive Gulf oil spill.

More than a dozen scientists interviewed by The Associated Press say the marsh here and across the Louisiana coast is healing itself, giving them hope delicate wetlands might weather the worst offshore spill in US history better than they had feared.

<snip> Irving A. Mendelssohn, a coastal plant ecologist at Louisiana State University, said the wetlands data so far is good news for fishermen who depend on the ecosystem to produce shrimp, menhaden and other seafood.

“My gut feeling, based on what I have seen, based on the recovery people have observed, I doubt that the impact to the wetlands is going to create a significant problem for our coastal fisheries,” Mendelssohn said.

http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/271969/oil-spill-area-coming-back-life

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the oil has disappeared also.

Makes we wonder how much the media has exaggerated the whole disaster and that everyone went along with them.

waht said:
Makes we wonder how much the media has exaggerated the whole disaster and that everyone went along with them.
Well, the government consistently underestimated the flow rate which allowed BP to downplay the spill rate, but at the same time the media hyped the "disaster" side. Maybe none of that is good, but it is tough to blame the mouse for going after the cheese: It's not his fault - he is what he is.

There's a great Simpson's bit where the TV station has a piece on the "Deadly" blizzard pounding Springfield. They have a death toll counter that is spinning like a slot machine display. The newscaster says, "the death toll now stands at...[click/klang]...zero...but it is poised to skyrocket at any time!"

That's just what the media is.

russ_watters said:
It's not his fault - he is what he is.
Of course, that's no excuse.

russ_watters said:
There's a great Simpson's bit where the TV station has a piece on the "Deadly" blizzard pounding Springfield. They have a death toll counter that is spinning like a slot machine display. The newscaster says, "the death toll now stands at...[click/klang]...zero...but it is poised to skyrocket at any time!"

That's just what the media is.
There's also this from Xkcd.

http://www.xkcd.com/748/

but, but...good god, think about the HIPPIES! We NEED this oil spill to be a disaster, so they can have a good irrational cry about it over some granola.

Cyrus said:
but, but...good god, think about the HIPPIES! We NEED this oil spill to be a disaster, so they can have a good irrational cry about it over some granola.

You apparently didn't hear that there was no granola harvest this year. Everyone was busy harvesting spaghetti. :biggrin:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8638140580645535068#

On the serious side I wonder how much of what was coming out of that pipe was methane??

Regardless something made the outcome of this spill much better that the Exxon Valdez spill. Warmer water?? More bacteria??

edward said:
Regardless something made the outcome of this spill much better that the Exxon Valdez spill. Warmer water?? More bacteria??
Yes, scientists say that the warm water, bacteria, etc... make Gulf spills much less disastrous. The Ixtaca spill, which also disappeared, was a good example.

Another important difference between the Exxon Valdez spill the Horizon blowout is that in the Exxon Valdez spill, all of the oil was released onto the surface where it was much easier to wash ashore. In the Horizon blowout, the oil spill came from a wellhead about a mile beneath the ocean surface. While the article (from a Philippine news source?) gives anecdotal evidence of marshlands recovering from oil washed ashore during the spill, it does not discuss the well being of the marine life, especially those in deeper waters closer to the source of the spill where oil concentrations were likely to be higher and more dangerous. The health of the marine ecosystem is intrinsically harder to measure, especially for those smaller organisms that form the basis of the gulf food chain. While it is clear that some fears from the media about the oil disaster were overblown, evaluating the full environmental impact of the spill requires more than just considering the health of the plants onshore.

In addition to the factors discussed by others, the use of dispersants to break up the oil seems to have greatly helped minimize the effects of the oil, especially by speeding up the rate at which bacteria could digest the oil.

Ygggdrasil, It's an AP Associated Press news release.

edward said:
On the serious side I wonder how much of what was coming out of that pipe was methane??

I believe it was due in part to being raw oil, as opposed to refined crude in the Exxon case.

WASHINGTON, Aug. 11 (UPI) -- More than 5,000 square miles of the Gulf of Mexico has been reopened to commercial and recreational fishing, a U.S. agency said.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said it was opening 5,144 square miles in the gulf to fishing. NOAA and the U.S. Coast Guard said they haven't observed any oil from the BP spill in the area since July 3.

"We are confident that gulf fish from this area is safe to eat and pleased that recreational and commercial fisherman can fish these waters again," said NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco in a statement.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Res...g-lanes-in-Gulf-of-Mexico/UPI-72371281532108/

52,000 square miles still closed, so that's a circle of 128 mile radius. Still a pretty significant piece of real estate.

russ_watters said:
52,000 square miles still closed, so that's a circle of 128 mile radius. Still a pretty significant piece of real estate.
It has to meet FDA standards, testing is still being done. Things are moving in the right direction, which is a relief.

Before the street-dance starts, we should perhaps consider that the Georgia Sea Grant and the University of Georgia are holding a press briefing today regarding a recently completed study that concludes that 70-79% of the oil released from the blown-out well is still in the Gulf waters. The long-term impact of the remaining oil is not known.

http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publish/100816_Sea_Grant.shtml

turbo-1 said:
Before the street-dance starts, we should perhaps consider that the Georgia Sea Grant and the University of Georgia are holding a press briefing today regarding a recently completed study that concludes that 70-79% of the oil released from the blown-out well is still in the Gulf waters. The long-term impact of the remaining oil is not known.

http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publish/100816_Sea_Grant.shtml

Some of which has been found in a rather deep canyon. If people here want to be first in the water and eating gulf shrimp, go for it, but I won't be that person. It takes time for toxins to move through the food chain from the bottom up (literally and figuratively in this case), but I believe that it will. Beyond that, the work of bacteria which require oxygen to "eat" the oil may take some time to show their impact.

It is too soon to cry doom, but it's about 5-10 years early to be happy or even optimistic. Remember, 2 million gallons of dispersant, and the depth+temp of the 'spill' is going to mean that a lot is not visible to anything outside of chemical testing over a huge area... cubed when you consider depth.

One troubling aspect of this is that blue crab larvae are heavily oiled and they are food for lots of small critters that are food for larger ones. There is speculation that the crab larvae may be able to release some oil from their bodies when they molt, but that has not been demonstrated, and as yet we don't have any idea what the dispersant might do to them. Last I knew, there wasn't even a proper test for Corexit in seafood. Hopefully, that is being resolved because fishermen can't hope to gain back the trust and business of their brokers and processors until they can be assured that the fishermen's catch is safe for consumption.

Locally (here in Maine) blue-fin tuna fishermen are concerned that we may lose at least one season's worth of that valuable game-fish, since blue-fins breed in the Gulf.

New story, but 2 month old information.

russ_watters said:
New story, but 2 month old information.
Exactly, the oil has been disappering from the water since then, the news is outdated.

Perhaps nismaratwork saw the CNN headline and teaser and posted the article without reading it - the headline and teaser are very misleading, worded as if this was a new discovery.

Headline: "22 Mile Long Hydrocarbon Plume Detected in Gulf"
Teaser: "Scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution said they have detected a plume of hydrocarbons that is at least 22 miles long and more than 3,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, a residue of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill."

"have detected" is present tense.

I see this a lot with major media online at night - I think their editors only work during the day because generally, the poorly worded or overly provocative titles/teasers disappear after a few hours or the next morning.

russ_watters said:
Perhaps nismaratwork saw the CNN headline and teaser and posted the article without reading it - the headline and teaser are very misleading, worded as if this was a new discovery.

Headline: "22 Mile Long Hydrocarbon Plume Detected in Gulf"
Teaser: "Scientists at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution said they have detected a plume of hydrocarbons that is at least 22 miles long and more than 3,000 feet below the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, a residue of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill."

"have detected" is present tense.

I see this a lot with major media online at night - I think their editors only work during the day because generally, the poorly worded or overly provocative titles/teasers disappear after a few hours or the next morning.

I hate to admit it, but you're right. I skimmed the article, but I missed that. I apologize... really I should have known better given that it's a news organization. On the bright side, this is good news, that I'm wrong... just not for my pride. :tongue2:

nismaratwork said:
I hate to admit it, but you're right. I skimmed the article, but I missed that. I apologize... really I should have known better given that it's a news organization. On the bright side, this is good news, that I'm wrong... just not for my pride. :tongue2:
I do it all the time - thanks for admitting it, it shows class.

Seriously, though, do reporters have to pass high school English class or is that an optional requirement?

russ_watters said:
I do it all the time - thanks for admitting it, it shows class.

Seriously, though, do reporters have to pass high school English class or is that an optional requirement?

Apparently not, but then I'm really not in a position to critique them. :blushing:

Thanks for the class comment, it wasn't easy eating that level of crow. Thanks to you and Evo for pointing out my error.

Evo said:
Exactly, the oil has been disappering from the water since then, the news is outdated.

So it is your conclusion that the report is meaningless? If so, please justify that assertion.

I didn't misinterpret the news report. It was all reported accurately in what I saw. This is older information BECAUSE it has been peer reviewed. I don't hear any of the scientists saying it is insignifcant. What they do say is that they don't know how significant this may be. So if anyone here does, I would like to know how.

Last edited:
Outdated is outdated, Ivan. It isn't meaningless, it is just outdated.

This thread is about what is happening now, not what was happening 2 months ago.

russ_watters said:

It's always their lack of knowledge -- even very basic knowledge -- about statistics that gets me.

Evo said:

Perhaps you should read the actual paper in Science that the CNN article references (http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/rapidpdf/science.1195223.pdf[/URL]). In contrast to other reports, the authors of the [i]Science[/i] paper, which is the first peer-reviewed study of the oil spill to be published, do not see significant degradation of the oil around the plume they study. From the study:[quote]The lack of systematic oxygen drawdown within the plume suggests that the petroleum hydrocarbons did not fuel appreciable microbial respiration on the temporal scales of our study[/quote]

While this suggests that marine life may not be so likely to be threatened by hypoxic zones created by oil-degrading bacteria, it does suggests that the oil may stay in the gulf longer than anticipated. The paper also presents data on the composition of the oil stating that, while some of the lighter components of the oil have disapeared, many of the heavier, more toxic components of the oil (such as benzene and toluene) are enriched in the plumes.

Of course, this research has to be put in context with other observations of decreased oxygen levels in the gulf, indicating that the oil is being signficantly degraded by microorganisms in the gulf. For example, other teams using independent methods have reported significant decreases in dissolved oxygen levels (30-50%) indicating significant microbial activity. (see [url]http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100727/full/news.2010.378.html[/url])

In light of these conflicting data, it is clear that the story is more complicated than it seems. Clearly microorganisms are degrading the oil but the extent of which is unclear and it may be that different environments within the plumes support different amounts of microbial activity. Indeed, different researchers have different estimates of the amount of oil remaining in the gulf. Whereas the researchers with the US government have estimated that up to 75% of the oil has been degraded, other researchers at the University of Georgia say that as much as 80% of the oil remains in the gulf (see [PLAIN]http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/88/i34/8834notw8.html[/URL]). Others offer similar criticism of the government figures, for example:[quote]Cowan isn't persuaded by this accounting. "There's not enough information in there to make anybody with any kind of quantitative or ecological background believe it," he says. Jeffrey Short, an environmental chemist based in Juneau, Alaska, believes that estimates of oil collection, skimming and burning should be reliable because they are directly measurable. But with relatively few data to call on, estimates of how much oil has dissolved, dispersed or evaporated could be off by factors of two to three, says Short, who works with the conservation-advocacy group Oceana and helped lead the damage assessment of the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill before he retired from NOAA. [/quote] ([url]http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100811/full/466802a.html[/URL]).

Because of these conflicting studies and the relative lack of data, I still contend that it is much too early to be able to accurately evaluate the environmental impact of the spill on the gulf.

We could do our own study, based simply on the numbers.

7.80E+05 = m^3 oil spilled into gulf(wiki)
2.50E+15 = m^3 of gulf of Mexico(wiki)
3,205,128,205 = by volume: parts water per parts oil
0.000312 = ppm oil to water
15 = legal limit in ppm in http://www.amsa.gov.au/marine_environment_protection/Educational_resources_and_information/Teachers/Classroom_Projects/Mathematics_and_Oil_Spills.asp"
A discharge of 15ppm cannot be seen on the water therefore if you can see an oil spill it is an illegal discharge.
48,077 = magnitude below the Australian legal limit.(couldn't find ours. 15 ppm might be an international limit.)

Although this assumes the oil is dispersed evenly thought the gulf. Spreading it out on the surface yields:

1600000 = km^2 gulf area(wiki)
1000000 = m^2 per km^2
1.6E+12 = M^2 gulf
0.0000004875 = thickness of oil spread evenly over gulf in meters
which comes out to be
0.4875 micrometers

From the http://www.amsa.gov.au/marine_environment_protection/Educational_resources_and_information/Teachers/Classroom_Projects/TABLE.GIF" from the above web site, an oil slick of that thickness will not be visible.

And then we have:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-20/business/os-ocean-research-oil-spill-restorati20100819_1_slicks-bp-spill-bp-rig"
Florida marine scientists take lead in researching oil-spill disaster's effects in Gulf
August 20, 2010|By William E. Gibson, Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON — A Florida research vessel last week discovered polluted plankton on the floor of the Gulf of Mexico, an indication that toxic oil from the BP spill may be setting off a chain reaction of ecological damage.

This and other findings have prompted marine scientists to warn that determining the long-term damage to the Gulf and its marine life — and how to repair it — will require as much as 10 years of study at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars.

$200,000,000 = dollars Florida scientists hope to spend on studying oil spill(least number of hundreds of millions)
$256.41 = dollars spent per cubic meter
264 = gallons per cubic meter
$0.97 = dollars spent per gallon

Hmmm... Seems a bit high. But at least it'll keep our scientists out of the soup line.

Spreading it out evenly in the whole gulf? Seriously? Obviously the oil is much less dispersed than that. Mexico isn't seeing any oil wash up on their shores because there isn't any oil over there

And now back to the topic.

I was down in New Orleans for a wedding a few years back and noticed that no one went near the river. I thought it was very peculiar, as it was the middle of June, and about 100'F outside. It seems the Mississippi is very polluted.

I just found the following article, which is somewhat related to the spill:

http://www.nola.com/news/gulf-oil-spill/index.ssf/2010/08/mississippi_river_pours_as_muc.html"
Mark Schleifstein, The Times-Picayune
Thursday, August 05, 2010

Every day during the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster, contractors sprayed an average 140,000 pounds of Corexit dispersant onto oil slicks on the surface of the Gulf of Mexico and into the oil being released a mile below.

But what few in the public understood was that an equivalent amount of similar surfactant chemicals -- the active ingredient in Corexit and in household soaps and industrial solvents -- enters the Gulf each day from the Mississippi River, with more flowing in from other rivers and streams along the coast.

As the river suffers, so do the people. The Mississippi River provides 23% of the nation's public surface water supplies. Eighteen million people depend on the Mississippi and its tributaries for drinking water.

But it's not just the water we drink that is of concern. What we do to the rivers show up in other ways as well. One example is the area in Louisiana called "Cancer Alley". Between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is said to have one of the highest incidence rates of cancer in the country. Residents also suffer from high numbers of respiratory problems, birth defects and immune system disorders.

Perhaps 40 years of dumping dispersant into the Gulf prepared it for this spill, or perhaps not.

Thread open.

Evo said:
Thread open.

Is there some news related to the topic? Other than that old report about underwater plumes, it really seems as though anaerobic bacteria are doing their job on the oil. I'm a bit starved for news on the topic however, so if anyone has anything, pro or con so to speak, I'd love to read it.

nismaratwork said:
Is there some news related to the topic? Other than that old report about underwater plumes, it really seems as though anaerobic bacteria are doing their job on the oil. I'm a bit starved for news on the topic however, so if anyone has anything, pro or con so to speak, I'd love to read it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_sc/us_sci_gulf_spill_where_s_the_oil" . :)

I'm interested in hearing news about how much oil total was spilled vs the amounts that were contained, reclaimed, dispersed, evaporated, and eaten. The situation is a bit complex, as some of those are either required or desired stages for the others.

<h2>What is an oil spill and how does it affect the environment?</h2><p>An oil spill occurs when liquid petroleum hydrocarbon is released into the environment, typically in large quantities. This can happen due to accidents during transportation or extraction of oil. Oil spills can have a devastating impact on the environment, as it can harm plants, animals, and marine life. It also affects the air and water quality, making it difficult for organisms to survive.</p><h2>How does an oil spill area recover and come back to life?</h2><p>The recovery process of an oil spill area depends on various factors such as the type of oil spilled, the location, and the severity of the spill. The natural processes of weathering, evaporation, and dispersion of the oil can help in the breakdown of the oil. Additionally, cleanup efforts, such as using absorbent materials and bioremediation techniques, can also aid in the recovery of the area. It may take months or even years for the area to fully recover and come back to life.</p><h2>What are the long-term effects of an oil spill on the environment?</h2><p>The long-term effects of an oil spill on the environment can be significant and can last for many years. The oil can contaminate the soil and water, making it difficult for plants and animals to thrive. It can also disrupt the food chain and harm the reproductive abilities of marine life. The chemicals in the oil can also have harmful effects on human health if consumed through contaminated food or water.</p><h2>What measures can be taken to prevent oil spills?</h2><p>Preventing oil spills is crucial to protecting the environment and minimizing its impact. Some measures that can be taken include strict regulations and safety protocols for oil transportation and extraction, regular maintenance and inspection of oil pipelines and tankers, and the use of advanced technology for leak detection. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources can reduce the demand for oil and decrease the likelihood of oil spills.</p><h2>How can individuals help in the recovery of an oil spill area?</h2><p>Individuals can contribute to the recovery of an oil spill area by participating in beach cleanups and reporting any oil sightings to authorities. It is also essential to properly dispose of oil and other hazardous materials to prevent accidental spills. Additionally, supporting organizations and initiatives that focus on environmental conservation and promoting sustainable practices can also help in the long-term recovery of oil spill areas.</p>

What is an oil spill and how does it affect the environment?

An oil spill occurs when liquid petroleum hydrocarbon is released into the environment, typically in large quantities. This can happen due to accidents during transportation or extraction of oil. Oil spills can have a devastating impact on the environment, as it can harm plants, animals, and marine life. It also affects the air and water quality, making it difficult for organisms to survive.

How does an oil spill area recover and come back to life?

The recovery process of an oil spill area depends on various factors such as the type of oil spilled, the location, and the severity of the spill. The natural processes of weathering, evaporation, and dispersion of the oil can help in the breakdown of the oil. Additionally, cleanup efforts, such as using absorbent materials and bioremediation techniques, can also aid in the recovery of the area. It may take months or even years for the area to fully recover and come back to life.

What are the long-term effects of an oil spill on the environment?

The long-term effects of an oil spill on the environment can be significant and can last for many years. The oil can contaminate the soil and water, making it difficult for plants and animals to thrive. It can also disrupt the food chain and harm the reproductive abilities of marine life. The chemicals in the oil can also have harmful effects on human health if consumed through contaminated food or water.

What measures can be taken to prevent oil spills?

Preventing oil spills is crucial to protecting the environment and minimizing its impact. Some measures that can be taken include strict regulations and safety protocols for oil transportation and extraction, regular maintenance and inspection of oil pipelines and tankers, and the use of advanced technology for leak detection. Additionally, investing in renewable energy sources can reduce the demand for oil and decrease the likelihood of oil spills.

How can individuals help in the recovery of an oil spill area?

Individuals can contribute to the recovery of an oil spill area by participating in beach cleanups and reporting any oil sightings to authorities. It is also essential to properly dispose of oil and other hazardous materials to prevent accidental spills. Additionally, supporting organizations and initiatives that focus on environmental conservation and promoting sustainable practices can also help in the long-term recovery of oil spill areas.

Back