1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oil & water problem

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    How does a ball floating 50% in water move when a large amount of oil is added, and why?

MY Solution:

I think that the ball rises because when a large amount of oil is added, the oil sinks to the bottom causing the water to be pushed up, increasing the buoyant force which causes the ball to rise.

Relevant equations would be the buoyancy equation. Fb=pgB

Does anyone agree with me that this is right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Please do not delete the Homework Help Template when you are posting schoolwork-type problems. It is meant to help you organize your thoughts.

Part of the Template asks for the Relevant Equations. What are they in this case? Is oil heavier or lighter than water? Why do you think that a ball will float higher in oil than it will in water?

4. Jun 1, 2016 #3
    @berkeman

I am so sorry. I won't next time!

5. Jun 1, 2016 #4
    Please feel free to respond.

6. Jun 1, 2016 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Not until you post the Relevant Equations and talk through how they could be applied here. And if you answer the other questions in my post above, that will help you work your way toward the answer.

Also, are you familiar with Archimedes' principle? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted