OJ Verdict - 13 Years to the Day

• Thread starter WhoWee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Years
In summary, The irony of the situation is that if OJ Simpson had been found guilty the first time, he would have been released 13 years to the day of his other famous verdict.
WhoWee
AOL reported that OJ Simpson was found guilty on 12 counts...13 Years to the Day of his other famous verdict...any thoughts on the irony?

I'm not attempting to judge (or comment) on his guilt/innocence.

It merely occurred to me that if he WAS found guilty the first time...he MIGHT have been released right about NOW?

Does anyone know if/when he would have gotten out?

Physics news on Phys.org
It gets better...13 is a BAD BAD Number

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081004/ap_on_re_us/oj_simpson

Last edited by a moderator:
This story really is way too one-sided. I think I recall the guy he 'stormed into' stole a bunch of stuff that was his and was selling it off. So he went in there to get his stuff back.

He took the law into his own hands. He is nothing but a two-bit thug.

I agreed with the verdict in the murder trial because of the actions of the police. The rule of law was the greater imperative. But justice finally found its target. Good riddance.

Racist cops YET AGAIN!!

Again, the thread is about the irony of the situation and the timing of the event.

Does anyone know when OJ COULD have been eligible for release IF he had been found guilty the first time?

If he'd been locked up...these events wouldn't have been possible...and he'd be free (maybe) now...instead...he might spend the rest of his life in prison for a lesser charge.

It seems that the correlation between the facts about the crime and the sentence is not very good in the US.

No argument...I just wanted to discuss the irony.

I think O.J. would have been convicted to life in jail without parole if found guilty in his murder trial.

That's what I'd like to determine...as you said (more or less)...our system has inconsistencies.

While it was a double homicide, it would also have been a first offense and a clear crime of passion...AND there was clearly public support of him.

I don't think the judge would have given the maximum penalty...if he had a choice.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable about California criminal law will respond.

I don't see why if it was first degree he wouldn't be two consecutive life sentences without parole.
If voluntary manslaughter, then I think max is 10 years US. Not sure if less in cali.

Again, I don't know?

WhoWee said:
AOL reported that OJ Simpson was found guilty on 12 counts...13 Years to the Day of his other famous verdict...any thoughts on the irony?

I'm not attempting to judge (or comment) on his guilt/innocence.

It merely occurred to me that if he WAS found guilty the first time...he MIGHT have been released right about NOW?

Does anyone know if/when he would have gotten out?
He was found guilty so there is no innocence to comment on, and I hope they lock him up and throw away the key. It was a little difficult for him to deny the video and audio evidence from surveillance cameras. He could hardly accuse them of racism.

He was also found culpable of murder in the civil courts for his earlier crime and if the criminal court jury had done their job properly and convicted him as they should have done I doubt he would ever have seen the light of day again.

IMO it's good riddance to bad rubbish.

O.J. Simpson sentenced to at least 15 years

Up to 33.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iUNgbOr-2bnpFUX0MiII6je2CkRAD94SNBQG0

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems to me that Justice has stumbled across the right result at last but, likely for a lot of wrong reasons, and certainly without any particular glory.

Apparently the narcissist Simpson just couldn't manage to not screw up again and fouled another one off. But this time society's catchers mitt finally caught one of his foul ball, after letting another slip away so ingloriously.

Wow! Eligible for parole in 9 years. He'll be 70.

Any bets he gets out his first try?

chemisttree said:
Wow! Eligible for parole in 9 years. He'll be 70.

Any bets he gets out his first try?

Yeah, I'll push that one. $20 says he doesn't. If he is denied, I'll send you a PM in 2017 to collect.

*spits on hand*

Shake?

1. What was the OJ Verdict and why is it significant?

The OJ Verdict, also known as the People of the State of California v. Orenthal James Simpson, was a highly publicized criminal trial in which former NFL player OJ Simpson was charged with the murder of his ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman. The trial lasted for 13 months and the verdict, which was announced on October 3, 1995, found Simpson "not guilty" of the charges. The trial was significant due to its racial tensions and media coverage, and it remains one of the most talked-about cases in American history.

2. How long did it take for the OJ Verdict to be announced?

The OJ Verdict was announced on October 3, 1995, exactly 13 years after the murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. The trial itself lasted for 13 months, making it one of the longest criminal trials in American history.

3. What evidence was presented during the OJ trial?

The prosecution presented various pieces of evidence, including DNA evidence, blood evidence, and witnesses. The most notable evidence was a bloody glove found at the crime scene and a matching glove found at Simpson's residence. However, the defense was able to cast doubt on the validity of the evidence, leading to the "not guilty" verdict.

4. How did the OJ Verdict impact race relations in America?

The OJ Verdict was seen by many as a symbol of the racial divide in America. Simpson's defense team argued that he was being targeted by the police and prosecution due to his race, while the prosecution argued that he was using his fame and wealth to evade justice. The verdict sparked debates and discussions about systemic racism and the fairness of the criminal justice system, leading to changes in how trials are conducted and perceived by the public.

5. What is the legacy of the OJ Verdict?

The OJ Verdict has had a lasting impact on American society. It continues to be a subject of fascination and controversy, with countless books, documentaries, and TV shows being produced about the case. The trial also highlighted the power of media and how it can influence public opinion. Additionally, the case has had a lasting impact on the families of the victims and the legacy of OJ Simpson, who was eventually found liable for the wrongful deaths of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman in a civil trial.