Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OK easy question time!

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1
    Hi folks! I've taken Calculus I and Calculus II, and I'm honestly not that bad at calculus but there's one thing I never quite got which really troubles me. How does one go about evaluating the derivative of an integral with a variable limit of integration?

Now, I realize that you're supposed to use the fundamental theorem of calculus, and that it somehow works out that, for example:

d/dx\int_{a}^{x} 2t dt = 2x

But when I do this, I actually do the integration then do the differentiation... I guess I'm not confident that just replacing t with x (in the example I gave) will work in general, like on a really bad integral like:

d/dx\int_{a}^{x} \sqrt{1+t^3}

Does it really equal [tex] \sqrt{1+x^3} [/tex]??? I can't actually expand it out to see for sure...

Does this question of mine even make sense or am I crazy? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

the only way I can make sense of your question is to translate it like this:

"I like to do things the hard way. How can I do it easily?"

Well, maybe not. That still doesn't make much sense! Have you considered going carefully over the proof of the fundamental theorem?
  5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the replies folks, it's becoming more clear to me. I think I'll have to go over the proof of the fundamental theorem again after it's had time to sink in a bit, but I can solve problems now without feeling as if I'm pulling this out of a bag of tricks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?