Ok, hello for starters I have a question about water/electrofishing

• Thread starter Iseepotential
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, The person is trying to reduce the number of crappie in their pond by using an electric fence. They connected the fence to a 12v deep cycle battery and tested it at home. They took the fence to the lake today and tried different ways of grounding it, but the power light on the fence controller wouldn't light up. They are wondering if they are missing something, and if so, what it is. The person suggests trying different lengths of wire to see if that solves the problem, adding wire screens to disperse the current better, or finding a way to generate an electric pulse.
Its a private pond, what's a waveshape? Not trying irritate you smart people just enjoy expert advice straight from the "horses mouth"

Engineering news on Phys.org
private as in not under government control...thank the good lord

berkeman said:
Please do a bit more reading, now that we know the correct term is "electrofishing". Wikipedia has a good article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrofishing Including links to more information. It appears that the waveform probably should be pulsed DC, with the waveshape having an effect on the size of the fish that are attracted/stunned.
Very interesting about galvanotaxis. I admit I didn't know that. I thought they just stun the fish by currents between electrodes.

I have read about these taxi's...what the hell does that mean? I assume not a mode of transportation.

I was being sarcastic what is taxis?

nevermind, wikipedia told me and gave me a headache

I got it to work with a 12v and an inverter with a chain cathode and a grappling hook shaped silver solder anode. Measured 97 volts on a meter and could only get 24v on dc with two batteries in sequence. The problem is ac makes them sink where dc creates "taxis" and makes them come to the surface. I'm stumped, I think I need a "multiplier" for the dc. I just don't have a clue how to achieve it. Is that what a transformer does?

Doug Huffman said:
Electric fences are low current at high voltage. Surplus phone generators are common and a better answer. How about a hot side 120 VAC from the mains, maybe with a light bulb current limiter. Dip the lead momentarily and shut off the supply.
That's what I was thinking. The basic requirement is fairly different for an electric fence and a fish electrocutor so I suspect the same device wouldn't do both jobs well.
As this is PF, I need to point our the Health and Safety issues here. Getting even a small electrical belt when you're in a tiny boat could turn a nice day out into a disaster. Make sure you use the right protocols for using such gear. I really don't like the idea of dipping a mains lead into water!

Yes, this thread has become a discussion of a dangerous activity by a person who does not know that they are doing. As such, it violates the PF rules and is now closed.

Back