Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OK, how stupid are US consumers?

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1

turbo

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2
    How about this one?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

I only bought 3.

5. Aug 21, 2010 #4
    I just gave my wife a hug and saved a bundle.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. Aug 21, 2010 #5
    They are going in completely the wrong direction anyway.

If it wasn't a device to show love and affection to someone who you are fond of by giving them a hug and instead was a device which punches your enemies in the face, then I think that I'd be interested in buying one.

7. Aug 21, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

8. Aug 21, 2010 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

9. Aug 21, 2010 #8
    What I like about the commercials is they show someone having a difficult time doing some simple activity without the product. For example, they'll have a woman in a kitchen trying to cut some tomatoes and having a really hard time doing it; cutting her fingers and smashing the tomato instead of cutting it (because the knife isn't sharp enough). Tomato juice is everywhere and she has a distraught look on her dirty face.
    Then they show her cutting the tomato with the Handy Dandy Tomato Cutter. Suddenly she's smiling, the kitchen is spotless and her husband comes in and gives her a kiss. Who wouldn't want that?

10. Aug 21, 2010 #9
    Not for anything, but: that Snazzy Sleeper looks a lot like a burqa. Is it possible then, that this is a middle eastern influence (kind of like how hookahs have come back into style, since we invaded Iraq)? Really, I suspect the manufacturer is trying to ride the coattails of the Snuggie. :biggrin:

The hug thing is kind of cute, but it takes up a lot of space. Eventually, it might just turn into another albatross, at my house.

11. Aug 21, 2010 #10
    Mentos (although I don't dislike them) I would have to say were the most blatantly absurd commercial product that I am aware of. Really, I think the subliminal message therein, was always like having them somehow gives you license to jerk people around. "Oh, don't mind me urinating into your tuba--CAUSE I'VE GOT MENTOS!" (*Give the thumbs up, with Mentos at hand*). "Mentos, the freshmaker!"

12. Aug 21, 2010 #11
    I went with the burqa thought too, except I guess, you would have to smell your way around.

13. Aug 21, 2010 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me three, also with the burqa association.

(Hookahs are back in style :confused:? How can anyone use one and not look like like this dude

[PLAIN]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IV8uGSdDsyuaLM:http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/BrittanyPaul/alice1.jpg&t=1 [Broken]

?)

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Aug 21, 2010 #13

It's what I've heard (I don't actually smoke). But I do love the oldies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HmJQyS8QVw&feature

Maybe if they played this song during their infomercials.

15. Aug 21, 2010 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's almost a http://www.designboom.com/history/useless.html" [Broken].

16. Aug 21, 2010 #15

turbo

Gold Member

quite tolerant, hooper!

17. Aug 21, 2010 #16
    I don't think they ever went out of style, at least not in the middle east.

18. Aug 22, 2010 #17

Danger

Gold Member

The one that's been driving me nuts for the past while is the touchless soap dispenser. Supposedly, it prevents you from picking up all of those nasty germs from the plunger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you wash your hands after touching the soap dispenser?

19. Aug 22, 2010 #18
    I for one hate public bathrooms (I was once a custodian), and consider them a crime against humanity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2kQBOADTWw&feature

20. Aug 22, 2010 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I immediately thought Burqa too. Though, it looks even shorter than standard airplane blankets, which already leave me choosing whether to pull the blanket up to my chin or keep my feet warm (and I'm short). I'd be really annoyed by something that just left my nose sticking out (those eye masks do nothing for me...tried them once on an overseas flight and wound up with them on the top of my head holding my hair in a really goofy poof by the time I woke up). On the plus side, they look like they could be turned around and made into a super-hero cape for a Halloween costume. :uhh:

21. Aug 22, 2010 #20

turbo

Gold Member

A super-hero cape with sheep? OK, you're cool with that!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook