Solving for x in a Trigonometric Equation: Where Did I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about solving an equation (2sin^2 x = 1 - cos x) for x. The person provided their solution, but it was incorrect because they assumed 1-cos x = sin x. The expert suggested a different approach, using cosine instead of sine, and factoring the equation to solve for x. The person thanked the expert for their help and expressed confidence in solving the remaining questions.
majinknight
Ok now this question i got wrong too but i got 2 of the answers correct. ok question is solve for x the following equation.
2sin squared x= 1-cosx

Ok this is what i did.
2sin Squared x- sinx= 0
Let u= sinx
2uSquared - u=0
u(2u-1)=0
u=0, u=one half.
sinx=0, sinx=1/2
Now x= o and 2pie. And for the other part it get x=pie/6 and 5pie/6. Now i checked my answers with the sheet as it says answers and it says the answers are 0, 2pie, 2pie/3, 4pie/3. Now 2pie/3 is square root of 3/2 and 4pie/3 is -square root3/2. What did i do wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the problem in your solution is that you assumed that:

[tex]1 - \cos x = \sin x[/tex]

I would do something like this...

[tex]2 \sin^2 x = 1 - \cos x[/tex]
[tex]2 (1 - \cos^2 x) = 1 - \cos x[/tex]
[tex]2 - 2 \cos^2 x - 1 + \cos x = 0[/tex]
[tex]-2 \cos^2 x + \cos x + 1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]2 \cos^2 x - \cos x - 1 = 0[/tex]

Then solve the quadratic equation.

Last edited:
Even better, you can factor it:

[tex]2 \cos^2 x - \cos x - 1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]2 \cos^2 x - 2 \cos x + \cos x - 1 = 0[/tex]
[tex]2 \cos x (\cos x - 1) + (\cos x - 1) = 0[/tex]
[tex](2 \cos x + 1)(\cos x - 1) = 0[/tex]

Ya ok i see what i did wrong ,i like to use sin and find myself always using it and i should have went to cousine, i figured out to factor it once you helped me get to that step so thank you so much. I only have 7 more practise questions on this sheet and only 2 have stumped me so i am very proud. Thanks so much and if i need more help again i will ask. Thanks

What does it mean when someone says "Ok I got half of it right"?

When someone says this, it means that they have correctly answered or understood half of the information or question at hand. They may need further clarification or assistance to fully understand the remaining half.

Why is it important to understand when someone says "Ok I got half of it right"?

Understanding when someone says this is important because it indicates that they may have a partial understanding of the concept or information. It may also indicate that they need further support or guidance to fully grasp the concept.

How should I respond when someone says "Ok I got half of it right"?

The best way to respond is by acknowledging their effort and understanding, and then offering assistance or clarification for the remaining half. This can help the person feel supported and encouraged in their learning process.

What can I do to help someone who says "Ok I got half of it right"?

To help someone in this situation, you can offer further explanation, provide examples, or ask questions to help them better understand the concept. It's important to be patient and supportive, and to tailor your approach based on the individual's learning style.

How can I avoid saying "Ok I got half of it right"?

To avoid saying this, it's important to actively listen and ask questions for clarification when needed. It can also be helpful to take notes or ask for examples to ensure a full understanding of the concept or information being presented.