Analyzing a Continuous Decreasing Function: Critical Point at (4,2)

In summary, the multiple choice question has 2 answers, C and E. C is false because D is correct, making this question have 2 answers. E is the correct answer.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

Multiple Choice If f is a continuous, decreasing function on
[0, 10] with a critical point at (4, 2), which of the following statements
must be false? E
(A) f (10) is an absolute minimum of f on [0, 10].
(B) f (4) is neither a relative maximum nor a relative minimum.
(C) f ' (4) does not exist.
(D) f ' (4) = 0
(E) f ' (4) < 0

Homework Equations

Ok. It looks to me like C and E are both false, based on the mere fact that D is correct, making this question have 2 answers.
Can someone please explain to me why one of them should be incorrect?

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you define critical point??

critical point was where f '(x)= 0, so i said f '(4)=0

name_ask17 said:
critical point was where f '(x)= 0, so i said f '(4)=0

Under that definition, it seems indeed true that C and E are false. However, I would doublecheck that definition if I were you.

Last edited:
micromass said:
Under that definition, it seems indeed true that C and E are true. However, I would doublecheck that definition if I were you.

No. A function can be *strictly decreasing* and yet have a critical point. For example, [itex] f(x) = -x^3[/itex] is strictly decreasing but has [itex] f'(0) = 0 [/itex]. (It is strictly decreasing because for any [itex] x_1 < x_2[/itex] we have [itex] f(x_1) > f(x_2).[/itex])

RGV

Yeah, critical points aren't just where the derivative is zero...

Ray Vickson said:
No. A function can be *strictly decreasing* and yet have a critical point. For example, [itex] f(x) = -x^3[/itex] is strictly decreasing but has [itex] f'(0) = 0 [/itex]. (It is strictly decreasing because for any [itex] x_1 < x_2[/itex] we have [itex] f(x_1) > f(x_2).[/itex])

RGV

Yes, how does that contradict what I said??

micromass said:
Yes, how does that contradict what I said??

Sorry: it doesn't; I did not read the questions A--E carefully enough.

RGV

Ok, so the answer is E then.
Thanks!

1. What is a critical point and why is it important in analyzing a continuous decreasing function?

A critical point is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero. In other words, it is where the function changes from decreasing to increasing, or vice versa. Critical points are important because they can help us identify maximum and minimum points on a function, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of the function.

2. How do you find the critical point of a continuous decreasing function?

To find the critical point of a continuous decreasing function, we need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, we solve for the variable to find the x-value of the critical point. In this case, the critical point is at (4,2) because when we set the derivative of the function equal to zero, we get x=4.

3. What is the significance of the coordinates of the critical point?

The coordinates of the critical point represent the location of the maximum or minimum point on the function. In this case, the critical point at (4,2) tells us that the function has a maximum point at x=4 and y=2. This information is important in understanding the overall behavior of the function.

4. How can we determine if the critical point is a maximum or minimum point?

To determine if the critical point is a maximum or minimum point, we can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at the critical point, then it is a minimum point, and if the second derivative is negative, then it is a maximum point. In this case, we would need to take the second derivative of the function and evaluate it at x=4 to determine if it is a maximum or minimum point.

5. Can there be more than one critical point on a continuous decreasing function?

Yes, there can be multiple critical points on a continuous decreasing function. These points represent where the function changes from decreasing to increasing or vice versa. It is important to identify all critical points to fully understand the behavior of the function.