1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ok, simple, i know

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    Im unsure on a very very basic differetiation i need for part of a question.

Quite simply - differentiate x/4. Thats it. Or x over any number - just never knew the rule. Is it simply 1? or 4? or 1/4?

I need to know for a question where iv to find the differential du for u = sin(x/y). Therefore i need to partially differentiate sin(x/y)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, why not ponder the identity [itex]\frac{x}{4}=x*\frac{1}{4}[/itex] for a while?

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Since, I don't think this is a homework problem, I'll guide you and give you the answer.
    There's a rule says that if k is a constant, then:
    (k f(x))' = k f'(x). This can be proven by using the Product Rule.
    Proof:
    (k f(x))' = k' f(x) + k f'(x) = 0 f(x) + k f'(x) (the derivative of a constant is 0) = k f'(x) (Q.E.D)
    ------------------------
    So applying that rule here, we have:
    [tex]\left( \frac{x}{4} \right)' = \frac{1}{4} (x)' = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
    You can also try the Product Rule or the Quotient Rule, both will work, but is a little bit longer.
    Can you get this? :)

5. May 1, 2006 #4
    I'd already worked this out but thanks for that explanation - im sure it'l help in the future. Im revising for exams - it was just a silly hurdle in a question - so no, not homework. Thanks again:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?