Ok soon to be algebra teacher i can feel it last one i think

In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for when the sign changes in an inequality. It is stated that multiplying or dividing by a negative number flips the sign of the inequality. The last step of the original problem is shown to be incorrect, and the conversation concludes with the correct solution being x>-3. The importance of breaking down steps and organizing the equation is also emphasized.
thomas576
2(x-5)-(3x+3)<x-7
2x-10--3x-3<x-7
-1x-13<x-7
0<6

i can't find the rules for when the sign changes my son is convinced that if you only divide then the sign changes to > i don't remember and he of course has his book in school :mad:

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where division has entered the picture. :tongue2:

(The last step is wrong)

Multiplying or dividing by a negative number flips the sign of an inequality.

division part

i was referring to the < sign i remember them having to change for a reason, he says only if your dividing, i thought maybe it was for sign change but i think you answered me :0 let me look at last line again

2(x-5)-(3x+3)<x-7
2x-10-3x-3<x-7
-1x-13<x-7
-13+7<2x
-6<2x
-3<x
x>-3

hmm again

2(x-5)-(3x+3)<x-7
2x-10--3x-3<x-7
-1x-13<x-7 so -1x-1x is 2x<6 and that is x<3?

whoray! did i get it! looks like it works!

You sure -1x - 1x = 2x?

Some little advice, I noticed you seem to do many steps in one line, slow it down and write it out more. It may take up more paper, but it actually saves paper because you will likely find the answer with less trys.

Also, in these single variable problems, try to get the equation so that one side is only variables and the other side numbers.

hmm i was close, thanks all my brain is fried I am done for the night. i thank you all and my son will enjoy life without the phone tomorrow for starting this at 10pm :) I am glad you all were kind enuf to help thank you for your time!

thomas

1. What is the job of an algebra teacher?

An algebra teacher is responsible for teaching students the fundamentals of algebra, including equations, functions, and graphing. They also help students develop problem-solving skills and prepare them for more advanced math courses.

2. What qualifications are needed to become an algebra teacher?

To become an algebra teacher, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mathematics or a related field, as well as a teaching certification. Some states may also require a Master's degree in education or a specific number of education courses.

3. What skills are important for an algebra teacher to have?

An algebra teacher should have strong math skills, as well as excellent communication and organization skills. They should also be patient and able to adapt their teaching style to meet the needs of different students.

4. How do algebra teachers engage their students?

Algebra teachers use a variety of teaching methods to engage their students, such as hands-on activities, visual aids, and real-world examples. They also encourage active participation and provide opportunities for students to practice and apply their knowledge.

5. How can parents support their child's algebra education?

Parents can support their child's algebra education by encouraging them to practice regularly, providing a quiet and organized study space, and communicating with the teacher about their child's progress. They can also seek out additional resources or tutoring if needed.