Okay, I am down to only a few.

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems related to current, magnetic fields, and forces. In problem 16, the calculation for the magnetic field at a point between two parallel wires requires taking the difference of their currents and considering their direction. For problem 20, the explanation for a charged particle following a clockwise spiral in a uniform magnetic field is that it is positive and slowing down. In problem 21, the direction of the magnetic field produced by electrons going around a circle in a counterclockwise direction is out of the page. Problem 24 asks for the force per unit length between two parallel wires carrying opposite currents, and the correct answer is 4 x 10^-5 attractive. For problem 26, the units of magnetic
nautica
I feel pretty confident in the rest of the problems and am down to these. I appreciate the help.

16) 2 long straight wires are parallel and carry current in the same direction. the currents are 8 A and 12 A and separated by 0.4 cm. The mag field in tesla at a point midway between the wires is?

I used B=uI/2(pie)r but did not come up with the right answer.

20) a uniform magnetic field is directed into the page. A charged particle, moving in the plane of the page, follows a clockwise spiral of decreasiing readius. An explanation would be.

My answer is: the charge is poistive and slowing down

21) electrons are going around a circle in a counterclockwise direction. At the center of the circle they produce a magnetic field that is:

My answer: out of the page

24) 2 parrallel wires, 4 cm apart, carry currents of 2 A and 4 A respectively, in opposite directions. The force per unit length on of one wire on the other is:

4 x 10^-5 attractive

26) Units of magnetic field might be:

a) C m/s
b) C s/m
c) C/kg
d)kg/C s
e) N/C m

23) The units of motional emf are:

a) volt/second
b) volt meter/second
c) volt/tesla
d) tesla/second
e) tesla meter^2/second

I don't have a clue on 23 or 26

thanks
nautica

Physics news on Phys.org
for P16 u need to consider directions as well it would be difference of the 2

i.e {uI1-uI2}/2 r

Last edited:
Originally posted by himanshu121
for P16 u need to consider directions as well it would be difference of the 2

i.e {uI1-uI2}/2 r

If I subtract the 12 - 8 I get 4 so

(4pi x 10^-7) x 8 / 2pi x .004 = 2 x 10^-4

this is not a choice, these are the choices

a) 0
b) 4 x 10^-4
c) 8 x 10^-4
d) 12 x 10^-4
e) 20 x 10^-4

Note concerning units

U know various formula now look for pro 26

what does option a represents charge*velocity but there is no such formula for magnetic field which corresponds to it

Now for option e Force/{charge*length} which correspond to formula

F=q{dl*B}

for pro 23

emf = BdA/dt= T*m^2/s

Originally posted by nautica
If I subtract the 12 - 8 I get 4 so

(4pi x 10^-7) x 8 / 2pi x .004 = 2 x 10^-4

this is not a choice, these are the choices

a) 0
b) 4 x 10^-4
c) 8 x 10^-4
d) 12 x 10^-4
e) 20 x 10^-4

u are doing calculation error it should be 16/4=4*10^-4

1. What do you mean by "Okay, I am down to only a few."?

This phrase could have various meanings depending on the context. It could indicate that a person has only a few items left or that they have reached a low point in a situation.

2. Can you provide an example of using this phrase?

Sure, for instance, if someone says "I am down to only a few dollars in my bank account", it means they have a small amount of money left.

3. Is this phrase commonly used in scientific research?

No, this phrase is more commonly used in casual conversations and does not have a specific scientific meaning.

4. Does this phrase have any scientific significance?

No, this phrase does not have any scientific significance as it is a colloquial expression and does not pertain to any scientific concepts or theories.

5. Can this phrase be interpreted in different ways?

Yes, the meaning of this phrase can vary depending on the context and the tone in which it is said. It could be used to express a physical or emotional state, as well as a numerical value.