Can You Explain the Mind-Bending Glass Trick?

In summary: And then people can just copy it.In summary, the conversation is about a magic trick and the various possible explanations for it.
Smurf
and it better be a damn good one!

http://gprime.net/video.php/theglasstrick

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch his hands, the one under the table does not move until the coin is produced and after the coin has 'disappeared' from the top of the table the hand above the table does no move. Thus I think it is fair to say that he hides the coin (he chooses a small one on purpose) and hides it between his fingers (3rd and 4th)

And with the salt shaker, note how he hides the emergence point - there is a hole in the table most likely, his choice of table is NOT random - note the lighting (very bright for an underground bar!) and in particular with the salt shaker trick he covers up over half of the table - I'm guessing the table isn't symetrical and has some hidden holes etc - also I'm guessing the audience and place is a set up

Last edited:
NewScientist said:
Maybe the soild is actually a non-Newtonian liquid?!
Or maybe it's plasma, or a foam

http://gprime.net/images/circleillusion/afterimage.gif
Wow that's pretty cool. I' never seen dat one before.

No i was thinking about that and I realized that a non-newt or form etc wouldn't work as objects (including his arm) rest on the table - and the table does not deform also a foam would not work as it would not have the transparent and refldective properties required

Damnit. I was hoping at least SOMEONE (preferably the first poster) would say "Magic!"

NewScientist said:
and the table does not deform also a foam would not work as it would not have the transparent and refldective properties required
Well, we haven't ruled out plasma yet, or aerogel, or cyanoacrylate.

Smurf said:
Damnit. I was hoping at least SOMEONE (preferably the first poster) would say "Magic!"

Now now we know everything has an explanation

mk said:
Well, we haven't ruled out plasma yet, or aerogel, or cyanoacrylate.

No we haven't however I doubt that such lengths would be gone to. My interpretation of the trick is that the first is acomplished by palming and probably a bit of magnetism (his ring?!)

The second is a 'set' table, a table with a hole, the camera angle and his hand block the viewpoint and the objects far away on the table attempt to disguise the fact the table is non symetrical, I'm guessing that if the restaurant/bar is real then he has been there and set it up before!

:P

The table has a hole.

NewScientist said:
Now now we know everything has an explanation
No we haven't however I doubt that such lengths would be gone to. My interpretation of the trick is that the first is acomplished by palming and probably a bit of magnetism (his ring?!)
The second is a 'set' table, a table with a hole, the camera angle and his hand block the viewpoint and the objects far away on the table attempt to disguise the fact the table is non symetrical, I'm guessing that if the restaurant/bar is real then he has been there and set it up before!
:P

You say his ring, you say his plasma... did you forget the girls did it as well? Or were they props? very possible... and probably the only explanation. or perhaps it's just brain power. Everything has an explanation... but some things cannot be answered with current science.

Last edited:
It was pretty amazing. The coins I can get my head around an expert palm trick, but not the salt shaker.

I can't get the video to work. Is this the one in a Japanese restaurant? If it is good luck explaining that. It was pretty darned cool.

It's MAGIC! :biggrin:

Serpo said:
You say his ring, you say his plasma... did you forget the girls did it as well? Or were they props? very possible... and probably the only explanation. or perhaps it's just brain power. Everything has an explanation... but some things cannot be answered with current science.

Oh for ...

It's a magic trick, not a debate about the existence of God.

i couldn't think of anything but the fact it was all staged, and they didnt film it whole the time...
i don't believe filmed or pictured acts, not that its impossible to get me even when its infront of me, but it makes it a lot easier to fool people when you can edit a recorded act...

That guy is good. Really good.

I`m not so sure it's staged, I think he's on a weekly tv show or something. I've seen another video of him heating a cup of noodles with his brain. I`ll try and look for it.

One of my hobbies is designing illusions (I'm working on a new type of stage guillotine right now :devil: ), so these things always fascinate me. I know how the first one is done, and the guy's definitely an expert.
I'm a little against people giving away the trick to things, since it sort of ruins the illusionist's act and (s)he has paid a lot to obtain or design the thing. A guillotine like mine, for instance, sells for over $2,000 US. That's a lot to shell out for something that won't impress anyone because they know how it's done. Speculation is always fun, but if any of you really know the answers, please refrain.

what's that guy's name? is he going to be the new davod blaine or what?

Can't figure out the salt shaker, but the coin is relatively easy.

Most countries still have some coins that can be picked up by magnets. Think of that while you watch his ring. Two sleights of hand, and he hands the original coin back to the woman!

Have you guys seen david blane? He throws a deck of cards at a window, and the persons card appears on the other side of the glass. Amazing.

Is this the same guy that did the levitating trick?

Astounding. Standing in the middle of the street, this guy lifts off the ground by about six inches and hovers there for several seconds.

DeadWolfe said:
The table has a hole.
Two holes.

In the third trick ("They're illusions Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money." Sorry, couldn't resist):

There are two layers of glass. THe "Feel the power?" line, and the associated vibration were the distractions as the coin was moved into position between the glass layers.

Still working on the salt shaker.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Have you guys seen david blane? He throws a deck of cards at a window, and the persons card appears on the other side of the glass. Amazing.
He also once stopped some random guy on the street, asked him for his hat, and pulled a live snake out of it.

Not to mention biting quarters in half and spitting them back together.

Though I figured out 2 of David Blaine's tricks. But of course, he does them way better than I could ever hope to.

In the third trick ("They're illusions Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money." Sorry, couldn't resist)
Or candy. :biggrin:

(The quote is from Arrested Development, in case anyone doesn't watch the funniest show on television.)

DaveC426913 said:
Is this the same guy that did the levitating trick?
Astounding. Standing in the middle of the street, this guy lifts off the ground by about six inches and hovers there for several seconds.
There's an explination for that one if you look for it.
He's gone from doing some genuinely neat tricks to doing rediculous publicity stunts involving being inside various sorts of containers for prolonged periods of time. He just seems so silly now.

Manchot said:
(The quote is from Arrested Development, in case anyone doesn't watch the funniest show on television.)
Well that seems to be the problem.

cyrusabdollahi said:

This guy does the same thing. On a ship with windows below deck.
http://www.youtube.com/w/magic?v=tZKid-xy5dY&search=magic [Broken]

I have an idea how he does this, but his performance is excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
NewScientist said:
And with the salt shaker, note how he hides the emergence point - there is a hole in the table most likely, his choice of table is NOT random - note the lighting (very bright for an underground bar!) and in particular with the salt shaker trick he covers up over half of the table - I'm guessing the table isn't symetrical and has some hidden holes etc - also I'm guessing the audience and place is a set up
The table also has an empty seat facing probably the most attractive female for 4 blocks in all directions.

OK, a staged trick is one theory - say the girl(s) and the pub owner are in on it.

Even granting this, I still don't see how he did the salt shaker illusion.

Mk said:
http://gprime.net/images/circleillusion/afterimage.gif
Wow that's pretty cool. I' never seen dat one before.

excellent. people should be talking about this. don't know how to feel when my wimpy mind gets fooled, still pretty good.

lol, yeah.

What you do is stare at the cross in the middle. Focus your eyes onto it, and imagine its just a cross in a gray square. Then it becomes[\i] a cross in a gray square, with a green circle revolving around it. Freaky.