Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Okay, so bats can't hear screens

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just jumped about two feet higher than when I viewed Monique's commercial [oh yes, :devil:, Monique!]

For reasons that are not worth mentioning, I have the screen out of my office window right now. If I have the window open I leave the screen in the window sill and leaning up against the window on an angle [to keep the bugs out]. All of a sudden the screen was flying across the room, things were crashing down all around the window, and I see a huge bat making a U turn nearly right above me!

That was interesting. I guess their sonar doesn't detect screens. I think I need to change my shorts again. :blushing:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That, or the bat was just as surprised as you were when the screen it intended to land on went crashing across the room! The only places I've ever seen bats, other than flying around outdoors or in a zoo, has been on window screens. I know they hang out other places, but I've only had the priviledge of seeing the ones that like screens. We had two bats hanging out on the screen outside our lab window when I was in grad school (old building that wasn't hermetically sealed like new buildings). They really picked the wrong window! We gave them no privacy at all as we watched the very excited male attempt to mate with the female. :biggrin:

4. Sep 10, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never thought of one trying to land...

5. Sep 10, 2004 #4
    Large bats intrigue me. I once had a comparatively small vampire bat drop off the ceiling (Bay leaf roof) and land inches from me. It wasn’t quite dead and frightened me even more than some of the encounters I had of similar nature with Fer-de-Lance snakes.

6. Sep 11, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Where the heck do you live??

7. Sep 11, 2004 #6
    Those incidents took place in Central America.

8. Sep 11, 2004 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

No longer there then?

Boulderhead, you are fascinating, and bewildering. Will we ever know why you were associating with fer-de-lance?

9. Sep 11, 2004 #8
    Not at present, was forced recently to relocate.

:blushing: :redface:

Certainly, they come with the territory, literally. Very aggressive creatures, very toxic (your skin may bleed following a bite). Often travel in pairs (adults), so if you should ever come across one you must exercise caution as another may be present. Watch for young with prehensile tails to be in trees (or my shower, or truck, etc, haha). All a daily part of junglish living. :surprised :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?