Okay, so bats can't hear screens

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Certainly, they come with the territory, literally. Very aggressive creatures, very toxic (your skin may bleed following a bite). Often travel in pairs (adults), so if you should ever come across one you must exercise caution as another may be present. Watch for young with prehensile tails to be in trees (or my shower, or truck, etc, haha). All a daily part of junglish living.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just jumped about two feet higher than when I viewed Monique's commercial [oh yes, :devil:, Monique!]

For reasons that are not worth mentioning, I have the screen out of my office window right now. If I have the window open I leave the screen in the window sill and leaning up against the window on an angle [to keep the bugs out]. All of a sudden the screen was flying across the room, things were crashing down all around the window, and I see a huge bat making a U turn nearly right above me!

That was interesting. I guess their sonar doesn't detect screens. I think I need to change my shorts again. :blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
That, or the bat was just as surprised as you were when the screen it intended to land on went crashing across the room! The only places I've ever seen bats, other than flying around outdoors or in a zoo, has been on window screens. I know they hang out other places, but I've only had the privilege of seeing the ones that like screens. We had two bats hanging out on the screen outside our lab window when I was in grad school (old building that wasn't hermetically sealed like new buildings). They really picked the wrong window! We gave them no privacy at all as we watched the very excited male attempt to mate with the female. :biggrin:

I never thought of one trying to land...

Large bats intrigue me. I once had a comparatively small vampire bat drop off the ceiling (Bay leaf roof) and land inches from me. It wasn’t quite dead and frightened me even more than some of the encounters I had of similar nature with Fer-de-Lance snakes.

BoulderHead said:
Large bats intrigue me. I once had a comparatively small vampire bat drop off the ceiling (Bay leaf roof) and land inches from me. It wasn’t quite dead and frightened me even more than some of the encounters I had of similar nature with Fer-de-Lance snakes.
Where the heck do you live??

Those incidents took place in Central America.

No longer there then?

Boulderhead, you are fascinating, and bewildering. Will we ever know why you were associating with fer-de-lance?

No longer there then?
Not at present, was forced recently to relocate.

Boulderhead, you are fascinating, and bewildering.
:blushing: :redface:

Will we ever know why you were associating with fer-de-lance?
Certainly, they come with the territory, literally. Very aggressive creatures, very toxic (your skin may bleed following a bite). Often travel in pairs (adults), so if you should ever come across one you must exercise caution as another may be present. Watch for young with prehensile tails to be in trees (or my shower, or truck, etc, haha). All a daily part of junglish living. :biggrin:

1. How do bats navigate if they can't hear screens?

Bats use echolocation to navigate and find food. They emit high-frequency sounds that bounce off objects and return to their ears, allowing them to create a mental map of their surroundings.

2. Why do bats avoid screens if they can't hear them?

Bats have evolved to avoid obstacles in their flight path, including screens. They likely have other sensory abilities, such as vision and touch, that help them navigate around screens.

3. Can bats ever hear screens?

Some species of bats have been found to have the ability to detect high-frequency sounds, but it is not the main way they navigate. It is unlikely that they can hear screens in the same way humans do.

4. What other animals can't hear screens?

Other animals that rely on echolocation for navigation, such as dolphins and whales, also cannot hear screens. Additionally, some insects, such as moths, may not be able to hear screens due to their limited hearing abilities.

5. Are there any benefits to bats not being able to hear screens?

While it may seem like a disadvantage, not being able to hear screens may actually benefit bats by allowing them to avoid being caught by predators that use screens to capture insects. It also forces them to rely on other senses, making them more adaptable and resourceful creatures.