Okay to twist thermocouple wires?

• Thread starter refind
  • Start date
Very small sterling crimps seem to work well based on a few hours testing. I'm using a thermocouple to monitor the surface temperature of our wood stove. I bought a welded-end TC wire initially but it is only 3 feet long and I wanted more distance between the stove and the electronics, so I bought 50ft of type K wire from Omega and cut a longer piece. Tried twisting the wires to join the ends but that didn't work very well. Then this morning I thought of using sterling crimps. (I own a bead store and sterling crimps are used in making jewelry.) Tested it and the 1mmx1mm crimps work great with the 30 gauge wire. It's been on the stove for about four hours now and based on that brief trial, I'd say this is an easy and inexpensive way to join the ends. Can't say anything about longevity yet but as far as ease of assembly, this was dead simple.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If your welded end thermocouple was type k there is no reason you couldn't have just added on with whatever length you want.

SensorJP
You can add extension grade TC wire to make it longer. You'll have to make sure the loop resistance doesn't get too high or you can start having secondary junctions and decreasing your sensor accuracy.

We mostly resistance weld or TIG the sensor wires together. If you can do it at all, soldering type K is a poor process because it typically requires a highly acidic flux that tends to reduce reliability and, if not cleaned well enough, eats away at surrounding material.