Okay, why is this guy a scientist and not a felon?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary, the self-experimenter chemist explores new psychedelic substances. He may have discovered and researched the chemicals 'before' they were put on the list, but he may have run into trouble with the feds. I do not recommend following in his footsteps, as it is not safe and may have negative consequences.
Physics news on Phys.org
I think he did have some run is with the feds.

I suspect he discovered and researched the chemicals 'before' they were put on the list. The list must address specific chemicals or chemicals with a related structure.

Otherwise researchers must obtain permission from the feds to do 'controlled' research with those chemicals that are prohibited or restricted.

I strongly recommend not following in his footsteps.

You ever done psychedelics Astronuc? You look like a hippee.

That would be pretty intense. I've never done drugs, but a couple of my friends do have MJ once in a while. I wonder what its like.

chaoseverlasting said:
I wonder what its like.
It makes you dumb and think you're clever, which by itself is quite ridiculous, then the next day you don't remember anything. Not only is it bad for health, it is also a loss of time. If however your "friends" do it, you may have quite a lot of fun talking to them when they are under influence, for a couple of minutes only.

Hmm, the article says he worked for the US Drug Enforcement Administration... I guess he wasn't doing enough enforcing.

In the Netherlands a lot of psychoactive substances can be purchased commercially (the shop down my street advertises magic mushrooms in the window). In New Zealand you can buy "party pills" (BZP) commercially, although a ban is being discussed. As a result, party pills are very popular there. :-)

By the way kids, I don't think we're supposed to talk about drugs on this forum... but maybe it's time to revisit the antidrug policy?

oedipa maas said:
In the Netherlands a lot of psychoactive substances can be purchased commercially
I have been several times there. I am not sure everybody is so happy about this situation. Mainly it makes a lot of tax money, but it also atracts quite a few (tourist) junkies. There should be a study somewhere of the socio-economical impact in a city such as Amsterdam.

humanino said:
It makes you dumb and think you're clever

I know some who do this perfectly well by themselves.

We don't allow endorsement of illegal drugs here. I also strongly discourage anyone here from boasting about taking illegal drugs. I would hate for anyone's future academic or professional career to be destroyed because someone traces posts of illegal drug use to them. Believe me, it happens.

Evo said:
We don't allow endorsement of illegal drugs here. I also strongly discourage anyone here from boasting about taking illegal drugs. I would hate for anyone's future academic or professional career to be destroyed because someone traces posts of illegal drug use to them. Believe me, it happens.

Maybe we should clarify the PF policy to read "We don't allow endorsement of drugs illegal in the USA".

Did you know you have to take a urine test to work at Fermilab? A friend of mine who spent a summer there worked with a PhD student who was fired, apparently because he failed the drug test.

On the other hand Richard Feynman tried hallucinogens (though I'm not sure if what he took was illegal at the time) and he also wrote about his experiences - that didn't seem to harm his career (although he was getting pretty old by the time he wrote Surely You're Joking).

I don't think you guys can prove any point by quoting specific examples. I think you can find many examples of bright students whose career was aborted as well. Who knows what they would have become otherwise ? Who knows what would have happened if Feynman never tried ? Besides, Hofmann's example is highly irrelevant, at least from wiki's information : he did his trial at age 37, already having achieved quite a long way in his academic career. This event, if any influence, has probably slown its carrer advancement down BTW.

The party drug of choice in the UK is mixed, but many youths are now indulging in nitrous oxide at clubs, because of the buzz it gives. It's not illegal to own the gas, just to supply it over here. I'd stick to the more dangerous legal ones, than nitrous oxide though. Anyone who's had gas at the dentist knows how odd it's effects are though. Aldous Huxley experimented with halucinogens, like peyote, ergotamine, and magic mushrooms, he even wrote a book about it. It might be illegal but any way you look at it good or bad, getting high is part of most cultures.

Last edited:
The real mystery is how somebody can do so many drugs like this dude and not end up living in a urine-stained cardboard box outside the subway station. Maybe his wife has been switching his drugs with silica or something and he's been tripping on the placebo effect.

RabitHolRules said:
The real mystery is how somebody can do so many drugs like this dude and not end up living in a urine-stained cardboard box outside the subway station. Maybe his wife has been switching his drugs with silica or something and he's been tripping on the placebo effect.

You could also ask that question of Bob Dylan and most of The Beatles, Aerosmith, Axel Rose and Ozzy Osbourne. Obviously fame and or money provides a safety net for excess.

Last edited:

1. Why did you become a scientist instead of a felon?

I have always been interested in the natural world and how things work. I chose to pursue a career in science because it allows me to explore my curiosity and make meaningful contributions to society through research and discovery.

2. What sets scientists apart from felons?

Scientists are individuals who have a strong passion for learning and discovering new knowledge through rigorous and ethical methods. Felons, on the other hand, have made choices that have resulted in breaking the law and causing harm to others.

3. How does being a scientist benefit society?

Scientists play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of the world around us and finding solutions to pressing issues such as disease, climate change, and technological advancements. Their work has the potential to improve the lives of individuals and society as a whole.

4. Are there any similarities between scientists and felons?

While scientists and felons may both possess a strong drive and determination, the similarities end there. Scientists use their skills and knowledge for the betterment of society, while felons use their skills for illegal and harmful activities.

5. How do you maintain integrity and ethics in your work as a scientist?

As a scientist, I am held to high standards of integrity and ethics. I follow strict protocols and adhere to ethical guidelines set by my institution and the scientific community. I also constantly question and evaluate my own work to ensure its accuracy and validity.